Chapter 21 - I'm On To You

Start from the beginning

"But what about Charlie and Michael?"

"I'll bring them somewhere else another day. This one'll just be for the girls with lots of pink things that are too pink for them anyway. They wouldn't like it." I smile.

She smiles too and I spend the rest of the night with her even though I have way too much homework.

###

After the last period of the school day, the brothers have another "educational day" planned for me. This time it's with Axel's division, but I have a few questions before that happens.

The brothers look worried. Carson says my questions never lead to happy things. He's darn right they don't.

"So you were engaged?" I ask in the last period classroom as everyone's walking out.

The second the teacher hears me, he starts rushing away. He says over his shoulder, "Close the door on your way out, please." Then he's gone.

Now the room is empty besides the four of us.

Carson looks me in the eyes with no hesitation whatsoever. "I was only arranged to get married to Suzie by the pack elders in the event that I didn't find my imprint. I did not ask her to marry me and no definite date was ever set. I'd hardly call that engaged."

"Was she the only option?" I ask.

He pales. "I'm sorry?"

"Was she. The only. Option?"

He doesn't answer, and in that, I get mine. I look towards his brothers. Axel flinches. Aiden stares back at me, unmoving.

"Was it just him, or was it all of you?" I ask.

Axel thinks for a while. "We were all in an arrangement of that nature," he finally says slowly.

"With Suzie?" I ask.

"No," Carson answers.

I give him a look. He's in no position to be talking right now, let alone about her. He puts his hands up.

I look at Aiden and Axel again. "So... who were you guys supposed to be with?"

"I hardly see how that knowledge would benefit you," Aiden says as cold as ever. "You just seem like you're getting more and more upset and therefore more likely to waste time."

Oh forget him. There he goes. I look to Axel since there's actually hope with him. "Axel, who were you and Aiden supposed to marry?"

Axel looks between Aiden and me. I stare at him until he finally says, "I won't answer for Aiden, but I was arranged to marry—"

Aiden looks at him incredulously. "You don't have to answer her."

"Why shouldn't I? I don't have anything to hide." Axel looks at me. "I was supposed to marry either Juliet, Rosa, or Cataly. I hadn't picked yet, and honestly I'm glad I didn't." He gives Carson a sympathetic look.

I'm a little relieved at that answer. But it worries me with the fact that Carson had chosen. He must actually have some kind of feelings for Suzie, right?

I look to Aiden. I sigh and look away. He won't tell me. I won't ask anymore. Maybe he is hiding something, like Axel said.

Aiden gives Axel a look. Axel clears his throat and looks away.

Then Aiden turns to me and gives me that same look. "What are you jealous? Because it's not my job to entertain your hissy fit."

I cock my head back. "I'm not having a hissy fit. I'm just asking a simple question. I'm sorry it's such a sensitive topic."