xiii

ethan's hand slides up my thigh, his fingers squeezing, distracting me from today's history lesson. i shoot a look at him.

"why did he put us at the same table?" i grumble, but i didn't push his hand away as it gave me such a warm feeling that i felt like i would have to immerse myself in the freezer for hours. then i began to wiggle in my seat.

"be quiet baby girl." he says under his breath, lips brushing my neck. through the rest of class, i can't think straight.

"you never met me behind the school my first day here. now you're going to pay."

"and who's gonna make me?"

"i'm so addicted to you." ethan whispers, and before i squirm myself to death, my hand shoots in the air.

"yes, leah?" mr. carlson says.

"may i switch seats today?" i cock my head to the side so maybe i'll be a bit more convincing.

"is there a problem?"

"i just...i would like to sit alone. i'm kind of agitated today." he nods and points to an empty table for me to sit at. it's amazing how much i can get out of at school but simply telling the teachers that i'm irritated or tired that day. i gather my things and take them to sit alone, and ethan's eyes burn into me for the rest of class.

++++

"one kiss." he pleads while i'm walking to the women's restroom.

"no."

"please?"

"no."

"please, leah?"

"no, ethan," i protest, stopping outside the bathroom.

"i suggest you get to lunch."

"i'd rather have you for-"

"don't you dare finish that sentence." i close my eyes for a brief moment, nearly gagging while i walk into the bathroom to do my business.

when i'm done, i look at myself in the mirror. what on earth about me could possibly be anything near desirable? i imagine myself being a model in hollywood, dating the hottest guys, living in the nicest houses. what fun that would be.