vii

three fucking desks apparently.

oh, i went absolutely off on everyone, some people actually started to shake in their desks, scooting them closer to the wall. a few people actually put their desks in a group so i wouldn't touch them.

amusing.

i got escorted out of the classroom by a teacher, the principal, and even the jolly nurse. they sat me in the principal's office, allowing me to control my temper. they leave me sitting there alone for a good fifteen minutes before my favorite teacher, mrs. kyllee, comes in, closing the door behind her. a smile spreads on her lips that don a blue color today.

"what's up, leah?" she leans against the mahogany desk, hands folded in front of her while her eyes stay glued to me.

"they should know not to mess with me." i murmur, not able to meet her gaze.

"and you should know how to control that temper of yours."

"there's something wrong with me!" i snap, my eyes pleading to her. mrs. kyllee puts a finger up to silence me and gestures for me to take deep breaths.

"there is nothing wrong with you, leah. just a bad upbringing. and you know that i know better than anyone in this school about what you've been through," she looks to the ceiling, and it seems as though there are tears welled in her vibrant eyes.

oh, please don't cry mrs. kyllee.

i stand up from the plastic chair, putting my hand on her arm comfortingly.

"i'll try, okay? i promise." i assure, and she smiles at me, dabbing underneath her eyes with a tissue, pulling me in for a tight hug.

"have a good lunch." she smiles warmly one more time before i slip out of the door, and right as i do, i feel myself collide with someone. i look up to meet the eyes of ethan.

"i don't want to talk about it." i growl, walking away with my hands clenched into fists at my sides. i head toward the cafeteria, and i hear him fast walking behind me to catch up.

"you didn't get in trouble?"

"no."

"can you repeat that?"

"no." i mumble again, keeping eyes glued to the floor in front of me, and as we reach the cafeteria, he questions me again.

"no!" i yell, but clamps my hands over my mouth, my eyes going wide.

"way to yell at the new kid, leah." one of the many snobby girls says, smacking her gum as though she'll never run out. without a word, i just stare at her.

"stop staring, creep," then she turns to ethan.

"bye ethan." she winks and giggles before walking off in heels that i can't even begin to imagine wearing.

"you got a car?" ethan asks me, shoving his hands in his pockets. i must've looked confused because he follows up with another question.

"let me rephrase that. can you drive?"

"got my license right before school."

"did anna grace get you a car?"

i shake my head no.

"we don't need this place," he looks around the cafeteria in disgust, than back to me.

"coming?"

"i'm not going anywhere with you. especially to skip school."

"i thought you were little miss badass?" i don't reply as i walk away backwards, flipping him off while i enter the cafeteria.

"miss badass better meet me in the back of the school at three!" i hear him call out.