viii

three weeks.

ethan has been here for three weeks and still tries to make passes at me. anna has caught wind of them as well, and she just laughs, while the other kids have no idea what's going on.

i was always told that i would never be anything. no boy or man would ever turn his head to look at me, and in the later years of middle school when that did happen for once, i pushed the boys away so hard that they would never talk to me again. and now that ethan has been doing this, i don't know how to feel.

don't get me wrong, he's a cute kid and all, but his comments are not the type i'd choose to have thrown at me every day.

now, i'm sitting in my room, studying for a chemistry test when he welcomes himself in, shutting the door behind him. i look up from the textbook, taking an earbud out, not breaking eye contact.

"hey," ethan sits on the bed next to me, making himself comfortable all of a sudden.

"what's up?" he shows a goofy grin while i roll my eyes.

"studying."

"gross," ethan looks around my room as if he's not sure what to say next. his eyes burn into me again.

"what are you listening to?" he grabs an earbud, putting it into his own ear, and when he figures out that i'm listening to the band three days grace, he widens his eyes.

"what?" i ask.

"i didn't peg you for that type of girl."

"what type is that?"

"emo."

"oh gee, thanks."

"can i tell you something?" ethan asks, running his hands over his long legs as they're stretched out in front of him. i close my textbook, turning my music off, and i sigh, giving him my full attention.

"yeah."

the both of us are silent, ethan looks to my bed and then slowly looks up to me, and when i see that tears are in his dark eyes, a chill runs through me.

"you know my brother."

i nod.

"i got the news the other night and-" he can't even finish before he nearly throws himself into my lap, and i feel tears land on my knee while i run my hand up and down his back, letting out the breath i didn't realize i was holding.