xii

"i found something very interesting today." ethan tells me while walking to the backyard where i'm supervising the kids in the pool. i'm laying on the deck in my one piece swimsuit that anna picked out herself, and isn't one that i would consider 'fashionable'.

i slide my sunglasses on my head as he approaches me with his phone in his hand. i would be lying if i said that i didn't stare at his arms in the cut off shirt he was wearing, and when he sat next to me, his muscles flexed.

"what's that?" i ask, and he shows me his phone. i look closer. oh no.

"so you weren't always ms. princess, i see." he smirks, and i shove the phone away.

"how did you find the profile anyway?" i grumble, putting the sunglasses back over my eyes as i look at him.

"leah, come play with us!" ash and keesha urge, splashing around in water with their various pool toys.

"yeah, leah, come play with us." ethan mocks, his lips brushing mine before i look at him sternly, although he can't see my eyes.

"in a second, sweetie!" i call back.

"where did you find that account?"

"none of your business."

"uh, i'm pretty sure it is my business because all of those pictures are of me half naked in front of mirrors at twelve years old." i snort.

"i may have been looking on your personal, and you're following yourself so...i think you can connect the dots." i groan out of embarrassment. his lips linger above my neck, ready to kiss me at any moment. quickly, I get up and strut over to the pool, taking my sunglasses off.

when i jump into the pool, the sound of water fills my ears, and i'm suddenly at peace. it's almost silent, and i love it, but i have to resurface. as i do, conner grabs onto my arm, grinning.

"take me around!" the six year old claps, reaching his arms out so he can climb onto my back. i let me, and he latches his arms around my neck, lacing his fingers together. i start swimming in a circle around the pool, and when we get back to where we started, ethan is staring at me.

"alright, buddy, get down," i tap conner's arms, signaling for him to slip off my back. i swim to the edge of the pool, batting my eyelashes at him. why am i doing that? i shouldn't be.

"oh, i would love to watch you get out of that pool baby girl."