Introduction

The anniversary of the end of the world was celebrated with fireworks and parades and so much confetti it was amazing there were trees left on the earth at all. The whole world proclaimed it a holiday. Everyone was off from work. Drinks were given out for free.

It was impossible not to feel happy.

Unless it was Zara Woods. The woman was feirce with eyes of black obsideon and an expression of no-nonsense. She hadn't worked as a MDO agent in months, but her stance was far too stiff for anyoen to mistake her as a civilian. Her hair was neatly pulled back and her clothes, bought fresh from WalMart.

While the rest of the world celebrated the continuation of the living world, Zara strolled the sidewalks, unnoticed as she followed her watch.

"Somewhere around here..." She murmered, sidestepping a couple of kids running by with sparklers and laughter. Her watch beeped lowly, almost impossible to hear over the cacophony of the cheering crowds.

Of course it would be this city, wouldn't it? This was the one that was tested above all others. Where a year ago the alien Hivemind Xerxes had started his takeover. Where Andrea Lancaster had taken her final breaths, before she was crushed under her own safehouse lab by her brother.

"Zara!" A voice called, "Zara Woods!"

She glanced up eyes darting the stranger faces around her until she caught sight of the one she recognized. It wasn't relief that flooded her veins, but something near to it. The cold chill that had been with her for months seemed to wither at the grinning face of Chance LaMay and his little sister Destiny.

Last year Chance had saved her life...by taking the life of his best friend, Oliver Lancaster who had been possessed by Xerxes. It had taken a toll on him-- on both of them really-- but they had managed to get through. One way or another. Chance had his little sister to live for.

(Zara Woods simply couldn't die.)

Destiny squealed, "Zara!" She was riding on Chance's shoulders, clinging to his blond bangs. It couldn't have been comfortable for Chance, especially with the way she was kicking her feet, but he was grinning anyway.

"Chance didn't think we were going to see you Zara!" Destiny laughed, "But I told him he was stupid! I was right! I know everything!"

Chance rolled his eyes, "Hey, What's up, Woods? You handling everything okay?"

His eyes were soft and knowing. He might not have been conscious when Andrea had been killed, even though he had been standing just feet apart from her, but everyone and their mother knew that Zara had promised to be Andrea's bodyguard. And that she had failed to protect her in the end.

"I'm fine," Zara said, glancing at her watch, "I'm acctually in a hurry--"

"I heard you dropped out of the MDO."

Fireworks exploded overhead. The night sky was alight with colors and the flares painted all their face in awe. Her watch beeped again, urgent.

"It's not...I'm taking personal time." Zara told him, and it wasn't entirely a lie. "Now if you excuse me--"

Chance frowned, "Hey that's a new watch! I think...have I seen that somewhere before?"

Zara's back straightened. "No!" she hissed maybe a little too quickly.

Chance snapped his fingers, "That's Andrea's watch. I remember she wore it the first time we talked. She kept checking it."

Zara huffed, "It's really none of your business." She shoved her hands into her pockets, and turned away, "Enjoy your night Chance. Goodbye."