VII

Aki

Aki

       The smell of sea salt fills the small room on top of the cloudy hill this morning. My body faces the open window, the cool breeze bites at my skin uncovered by the light robes adorning me. My eyes flutter closed as I listen. Just listen. The harsh and distant sounds of the bay birds, complimented by the soft waves crashing into the shore. The chattering of the newest shipment being unloaded at the docks. It all fills my senses. I feel joy. Joy that I had never felt before. I feel peace. Peace that the kingdom could not bring for me in the past. The feeling of freedom, no longer trapped behind the tall plastered walls of the palace. The purest form of the Earth, those not maintained by the gardeners in the early mornings. Back at the palace, simply seeing a single leaf sink into the streams was such a rarity.

      My body rests in a chair nearby the open window. My fingers lightly skim over the strings of a harp, just listening to the gentle sounds with my eyes closed, only seeing the calm darkness covering my eyelids. I start to strum a familiar tune. His favorite.

       Listening to the crashing waves and the music my twining fingers make, a hot breath caresses my bare neck. "My precious siren, singing her song so early in the morning." His voice murmurs against me, planting kisses along my skin.

   I am here. I am alive. I made it. I have found my love. I found my freedom.

 No

No. That's not it. Not quite.

       Much to my dismay, that is not how my life can possibly play out. There is no seaport village for me. There are no peaceful mornings. This "peaceful morning" was no exception. There was a dreaded feeling in my stomach as I arose from my slumber from the previous night. Today I am to be married. The only thing keeping me holding by the threshold, is to make it to Soo-Won's coronation. Only then will I be able to speak to Lord Mundok freely. Though the fact that Yona has departed from this world, I wish to see the face of the elderly man who's given me comfort for as long as I can remember.

From the moment my eyes had opened, I have been thrashed around like a doll in preparation for the ceremony. Being drenched in fragrant scents, the snagging of my hair on a brush, and heavy jewelry placed upon every appropriate spot on my body. The chattering of the maids drown my thoughts as they set out every possible thing I will need on every available flat surface within the room.