4

"Ouch!"

I lightly pinched Akari.

"Sorry about that, Akari didn't mean to say that. What she means is that we're busy today, so we can't sit together. Next time?"

Before Chiho could say anything else, I grabbed Akari's hand and led her to our usual lunch spot.

Akari didn't say anything, but when we arrived and I was about to let go of her hand, she wouldn't let go.

"Uh, Akari-?"

"I don't wanna"

The pout on her face was showing and I was unable to let go of her hand. Akari can be a bit stubborn sometimes.

"You shouldn't befriend her, she's a witch"

Witch? I couldn't help the laugh that escaped my lips.

"Don't laugh, I've heard bad things about her and I don't want you mixed up in it" although Akari tried saying that seriously, I couldn't take her seriously from the pout on her face and that annoyed yet adorable expression on her face.

"It's fine, it's fine. I doubt I'll get close to someone I first spoke to today" I waved off her statement.

I was going to ask her to let go of my hand again, but decided against it because of her warmness.

"Hey, (y/n)?"

"Hm?"

"I thought I could hold back but I'm reaaally tempted now"

What she talkin 'bout?

"You know, you owe me a favor from looking through my things without my permission, right?"

I don't like where this is going.

"So, I kinda want to use that favor now"

uh-

"Hey (y/n)!" a familiar voice interrupted us.

I turned around and my eye twitched as a frown appeared on my face. I seriously didn't want to talk to this person, but then again now seemed like a good time to be interrupted.

"Sorry...could you help me out? I forgot to bring a notebook to class and was wondering if you had an extra one" Daichi's wavering voice indicted the barrier between us.

I was surprised he was still willing to talk me me after the way I rudely acted, even I admit that.

"Well..." I quickly glanced at Akari.

"Sure, I got a notebook" I looked back at him.

"Really?! Oh, wow, thanks" His once cautious attitude turned into a lighthearted one.

I gave him the notebook and he left looking more cheerful than I ever saw him before. But then again, I haven't seen him that much.

"I thought you didn't like your brother" Akari had a blank face.

"Yeah I don't...but, it's not that troublesome if it's just a notebook"

"So about before-"

RING!

"Oh, looks like we have to go to class now" I said ready to leave.

Now that's what you call, saved by the bell.

Just then I heard a twig snap and the sound of quick shuffling leaving; was it the sound of footsteps? If it was a person, they seemed to be in a rush. Yet if so, why were they so nearby but I didn't hear them before at all?

Maybe I'm just overthinking this, it could've been a squirrel. But are squirrels that loud? While walking to class, another unsettling thought came to mind.

How did Akari know what my brother looked like?

(A/N: Has my writer's block been cured? Maybe a bit. In any case, I'll update more so don't give up on me)