Parallel (Chapter 19)

Chapter Nineteen
Beyond the Call of Duty

Cooper couldn’t get out of the backyard fast enough. He had waited until he was safely in the Land Rover before he pulled himself back together. He didn’t want to let Etta know just how shook up he was over what had just happened.

“What the hell was I thinking back there?” He muttered to himself in disbelief.

He had almost blown it, kissing Etta like that, but he couldn’t help himself. True, it had been an exciting moment, for both of them, watching her work her magic on those butterflies, but it was still no excuse for taking advantage of the situation. She had looked so happy and vulnerable at the same time, he couldn’t resist. But as much as he had enjoyed the moment—minus the slap—he knew he was going to have to tell his wife about the exchange.

What Cooper actually felt worse about was his frustration over Etta’s relationship with Alex. She was vague about her situation with the kid, but he had a feeling she was doing that on purpose. He was a seventeen-year-old kid for and at twenty-two, he should know better than to be envious.

His instinct to protect Etta bordered on overdrive and he would do anything in his power to keep her safe. Even if it meant crushing the dreams of a high school senior. His need to watch over her went well beyond the orders handed down from the Council. No one had ever said this was going to be easy.

He arrived at the old abandoned industrial complex, situated right outside the city limits. Because of its rundown appearance, it ensured privacy from the military forces that patrolled the inner capital city. The complex had been appropriated years before by the Council to use as their mission support center. Cooper knew he would find his wife there. He only hoped she would understand.

“You’re back early,” she said, noting his return. “I’d thought you guys would be training all day.”

“Yeah, well…things ended pretty quickly after I, uh, got slapped,” Cooper said.

It took her a moment, but then her eyes shone with the realization of what he was admitting. “Cooper, you didn’t!”

“Darlin’, I’m sorry. It just happened,” he said. This was a conversation he never thought he’d have with his wife, but he was glad he came clean. Confession is good for the soul, he thought.

To her credit, his wife didn’t appear overly upset by his admission. Slowly, she rose from her chair at her desk and looked into her husband’s eyes. “Maybe so, but let’s just hope this doesn’t ruin things,” she said. “Something like this could totally confuse Etta and we need her on board.”