Parallel (Chapter 22)

Chapter Twenty-Two
Time Travel

Before we left Alex’s house last night, Jaime and I had agreed to meet up twenty minutes before physics class. I’m totally behind in my homework and my intention is to ask her for help before class, but after what happened last night, discussion of the mysterious man takes precedence.

“I can’t believe that man was Cooper,” Jaime says. “It’s just not possible. Is it?” She seems genuinely perplexed. I’m glad I had her check him out for herself. If she hadn’t, I’d have to wonder if I’m just imagining things.

“It just doesn’t make sense. The guy at the bar said he didn’t have any kids, but he’s the spitting image of him. Not to mention they share the exact same name. I think there’s more going on than Cooper’s letting on,” I admit. At some point I’m going to have to bite the bullet and let Jaime in.

Her face turns all haughty like. “I knew there was something off about that guy! Why don’t you just ask him?”

“You don’t have to look so smug. Besides, he doesn’t always answer his phone and I don’t even know where he lives.”

Jaime ponders that for a second. “I thought you guys were good friends? He certainly knows how to find you,” she points out. “I’m sure he’ll show up eventually. He always does.”

She’s right. Cooper always magically appears whenever I need him most. But given the circumstances, even this is all too bizarre. The man I met at the fundraiser seemed like a nice enough guy, but there’s something about him that seemed off. Could he really be Cooper? If alternate realities existed, is it possible that it is the same person, only from a different reality? But if that’s true, it can only mean one thing.

I know I’m taking a risk by asking, but then again, it’s not like I’m actually going to reveal that alternate realities actually exist, so I ask anyway, “Hey Jaime, do you think time travel is possible?”

This strikes her as hilarious. “Where did that come from? No, I don’t think it’s possible. Why? You think Cooper is from the future or something?”

No, more like the past.

“No,” I sigh. Bouncing theories off Jaime probably isn’t the brightest idea, but it’s not like I can come straight out and ask Cooper about it. At least not until I figure out a reasonable explanation for his look-alike.

“Hey, do you want to sleep over on Friday?” Jaime has already become bored with the conversation and changes the subject.

“I thought you wanted to go hot tubbing in Wintergreen?”

“Yeah, about that. The folks put a kibosh on that one. So you do you want to come over instead?”

“Like a slumber party?” I’ve never be to one before. Although technically, having lived at Dominion House with thirty other foster kids was like a perpetual sleep over I couldn’t wait to end.

“Sure. You, me, a tub of popcorn, and a couple of chick flicks.”

“I’m sure it will be alright with Aunt Maggie.” Jaime spends so much time at my house, I figure my aunt will want a break. Maybe this won’t be so bad. It will also give me a chance to get to know this Jaime a little better. Besides, a sleepover does sound kinda fun when she puts it that way.

“I’m in,” I accept her invitation just as the bell rings, signaling the start of class. Now I just hope Miss Stone doesn’t call on me to share last night’s homework.

No such luck. If I had the opportunity of taking the course for the whole semester, like the rest of the class, instead of being dumped here the last part of the year, I’m sure I could have figured out the assignment. And of course, Miss Stone decides to call on me to present my circuit diagram. I don’t know why they’re called simple volt meters, there’s nothing simple about them. So I slowly make my way up to the front of the classroom and I’ve got nothing.

“Miss Fleming, please see me after class.” I receive a stern look as she allows me to return to my seat.

Great, now I’m possibly facing detention—do they even have detention at a place like this? Or worse yet, additional homework. I sit through the rest of class with my head firmly focused on my desk. I’m afraid that if I look up, Miss Stone will only single me out again and give me her usual scowl.

The bell rings and I watch as everyone exits the classroom. Jaime shoots me a look before she leaves. Now it’s just me and Miss Stone. I’m tempted to tell her about my experience with alternate realties for real this time. At the very least, she’ll think I’m just unbalanced and let me slide.

“Etta. What seems to be the problem? Your progress has significantly dropped below what is required for this class. This is not the kind of work I expect coming from you. Is there a problem at home I should know about?” For a split second, she actually appears concerned. Then it’s gone. “Have you asked your father to help you with your studies?”

“Uh, my dad isn’t home at the moment. He’s away on business.”

She gives me a hard look. “I see. Do you know when he’ll be back? I don’t want you slipping in class.” Her eyes flicker, as if something suddenly occurs to her. “Etta, what lesson did we go over before we broke for winter break?”

Is this a trick question? “I think, well, I—” I lower my head, embarrassed. “I’m sorry Miss Stone. I don’t remember.” Hell, I don’t know why I have to apologize. It’s not my fault I don’t remember the damn lectures from last fall. I wasn’t even here! I raise my head to look back at her.

Her eyes widen. “I see,” she says again. “Well, then, I expect you’ll make a good faith effort on your assignments the rest of the semester. Is that understood?”

I sigh. “Yeah, I understand.”