Chapter 7 - Playing a Blinder

Start from the beginning

The next day, we were back out at the pitch at the Pokemon League. However, this time, things were different – it was raining. It was only light drizzle as we waited to walk out onto the field from the tunnel, and the grass didn't seem to be too badly effected. The team Darragh had chosen for this game was largely the same as the opening match, except Torch and Gazelle were starting up front ahead of Ethan and Sam. We were lined up ready to take our places in the centre of the pitch, where our opponents would follow and shake our hands this time. Leading the line was Nelly, who had the captain's armband fastened around her left arm. I was stood behind her, looking at the number twelve on the back of her shirt as she gently bobbed up and down on her toes. “It'll be ok.” I said, putting my hand on her shoulder.

“Yeah...” She looked back at me. “We're going to win today!”

“Yeah!” Everyone rallied.

Then, the voice of Harvey came through the speakers.

“Ladies and gentlemen, here they are! Destiny Angel!”

That was our cue.

The rain patted down on our heads at odd intervals as we stood shoulder-to-shoulder on the pitch, watching the Deathy Vipers stroll towards us. This time, Ryan was playing, as he was in the line of eleven players.

“Today, the Deathly Vipers could wrap it all up and win the competition with a victory!” Harvey informed everyone around the stadium. “Destiny Angel need to go all-out for a win if they want to play in a third and final match. Now, alongside me today is Fred, and also another good friend of mine, Andy Smith! Andy is a much better football commentator than I am, and he's here today to talk about what happens in the match, and hopefully provide a helpful analysis on events today.”

Andy was a man with short black hair and spectacles, seemingly in his forties.

By now, the last player of each team had shaken hands, and it was time for the match to get underway.

“Good luck.” I said to Nelly.

“Thank you... You too, I know you'll do well.” She smiled, before kissing me goodbye. The crowd cheered once again at that, much like the game before. Just like that day, it gave me confidence, and I jogged off to my goal happily, pulling my gloves on as I went.

We've got this one. I know we can do it.” I convinced myself.

“And Destiny Angel get us underway here.” Harvey announced. “Andy, how important is it that they get off to a good start here?”

“Well, it is important that they try and make something early on, because it'll boost their confidence a lot for the rest of the match. Even if they were to go one down early on, it still gives them time to improve.” Andy replied.

I watched on the screen as Nelly had the ball halfway down the opposition's end. Gazelle was being marked up ahead, but in the corner of the screen, Torch was starting to peel away into a space left behind by a vacant defender. Nelly saw this just in time, and launched the ball over the top.

“Nelly's put through Torch here! He's one-on-one with Scott! Takes a touch...! My word!”

“Ooooh!”

Our fans erupted with cheers as Torch took the ball down with his left foot and smashed it into the top corner with his right.

“What a finish, Andy!”

“That's so hard to do, Harvey, to take the ball out of the air and get it out of your feet like that – wonderful goal!”

I looked to the bench and saw Darragh clenching his fists in celebration by the touchline. On the other side, Derek Quagmire's expression was blank and unphased. It was great to have scored, but it was only the third minute. We needed to concentrate. But it was a lack of concentration which almost cost us dearly...