∆A Surprising Surprise∆

Levi's body hurt all over again. His arms and legs ached, his neck stung, his eyes were melted, his fingers were seared and his whole body was just a bunch of blegh.

He could stand just laying still, asleep while his body tried to rid itself of the pain. He needed something. Maybe Eren would start to sing to him?

Wait.

This all happened after Eren pulled him into the water.

Levi remembered the kiss, the searing alarm that hit his mind. Don't kiss him. Don't promise him.

Was Eren just a dream?

His tail and ears were fake. Mermen don't exist. Eren definitely didn't exist.

Levi was probably still on the plane, asleep between the toddler and whale. Or he didn't even leave in the first place. Eren never kissed him or cuddled him or sang to him. He never asked him to promise all those things or pulled Levi into the water. None of it happened.

Levi had almost convinced himself of just that until he heard the singing.

The melody was soothing and encouraging, the only lyrics were Levi's name, repeated over and over in different tones and spaces.

Levi. Leevi. Le-vi. Levii. Leevii. Lee-vi. Le-viiiii.

The voice was soothing, clearing the pain from Levi's body. He instantly knew who it was. Who else had such an angelic voice.

No one but Eren.

Levi could feel his eyes crack open and he stared up at the ceiling. He laid in a room with odd light. Beams trickled in through high open windows that overlooked a plateau. The roof was engraved with markings and designs along with shells and corals. The walls were smooth and bare and the floor was a blanket of soft green algae that had little shrimps crawling through it.  

Levi laid on a bed of sponge, on his chest, Eren laid, gripping his shirt softly, his eyes closed with his cheek pressed against Levi's pec.

He hummed, singing Levi's name quietly as he traced little shapes on the side of Levi's ribs.

“Eren?” Levi's voice was smooth unlike before. He felt hydrated and fit. Just really hungry. His neck still throbbed but the rest of him was dull and numb.

Eren sat up a bit, flashing a bright toothy smile. “Levi~!” He sang cheerfully, leaning down and pecking the male on the nose.

Levi felt the urge to smile. “Where am I?” He asked softly, tilting his head curiously.

Eren moved from on top of Levi to sitting next to him on the large sponge. “This is my room. We're in the Maria Trench District, capital Shinganshina.” He replied, running his fingers through Levi's undercut.

Levi hummed softly at the affection and hooded his eyes until the action was stopped. “Eren, explain everything to me. This all seems like such a weird dream. Your a merman. I didn't think your species existed. And how am I breathing underwater? And why am I in pain?” Levi questioned, taking Erens hand gently.

He didn't want to freak out on Eren. He just wanted answers. Better to stay calm then to accidentally make him cry.

“Well, I'm a merman, as you guessed. My species spend our lives searching for our mate. It's not uncommon for us to be mated to humans. It's happened a few times before. I felt your pull while you were in the bird. I think you called it a plane?” Eren hummed in thought.

“Once I found you and realized you were human, I didn't want you to try and leave me to go back to mainland. There are many Mers who are heartbroken by their mate rejecting them in favor of walking on land.” Eren suddenly got sheepish.

“I'm sorry. I made you promise to never leave me.” He murmured softly, looking away as he rubbed his thumb against his tail, buffing out a scale.

Levi set a hand on Erens arm gently before he jumped, staring down at his arm. He was covered in scales.

He began to examine his body, touching everywhere. Gills on his neck, translucent webbing between his fingers and toes, claws, and a tail which grew from his lower back.

“What the hell?! Eren?” Levi looked to the mer, waiting for an explanation.

His mate looked a bit ashamed. “I asked the witch doctor to turn you aquatic so you wouldn't die.. I'm sorry if you think I went to far..” He hung his head, avoiding eye contact.

Levi stood, trying to get used to the new way of traveling as he made his way to the wall which had a polished area that was reflective.

He stared at himself, flashing his sharp teeth and tugging at his finned ears and examining his tail which had membrane stretched out between thin bone almost like bat wings on either side, helping him glide through the water.

His eyes glowed like silver lanterns and his body was now just a cluster of pale blue scales.

“Eren, this is.. interesting.” He didn't know what to say. Eren was adorable. He made it impossible to be angry with him. He stole Levi from his life and forced him to stay in Eren's yet Levi didn't hate him.

He was also wondering if it was a bad thing. Not being able to go back home? Stay forever with Eren? Date a merman? Millions of people would wish to be in his position.

Levi didn't mind it one bit. He actually enjoyed it a little.

He turned to his mate, his Eren, and swam over, gently taking his chin in between his fingers before he placed a soft kiss on his lips.

“Thank you for this, Eren. Thank you so much my beautiful mate.”

Word count: 960
12-22-17