Chapter 3

Billy and I caught the horses and had the tack and bridles on them. We had a lit lantern to light the way and we were standing with the horses talking about where we should go.

"Let's go to this spot I really like." I said. "No one knows where it is, but it is really pretty and not to far from here."

"Sure, let's go." Billy said. "Need help getting on your horse?" Billy offered.

       "Uh," I blushed in the dark. "Actually I do. I'm to short to get on her without being helped onto Storm or stepping onto a fence." I laughed nervously. Billy laced his fingers together so I could step onto his hands and get onto Storm. "Are you sure you want me to step on your hands with these boots on?" I looked down at Billy who was kneeling down, looking up at me.

              "Actually, no." Billy stood straighter. "Just grab her mane." Billy instructed. I grabbed her mane and braced myself. Billy grabbed my waist and lifted me up. I let out a little squeal of surprise and Billy laughed. I swung my leg over Storm's back and Billy let my waist go.

"Thanks," I was still blushing.

           "You're blushing." Billy smirked up at me which only made me blush more. He mounted his horse and rode up next to me. "Lead the way." Billy motioned forward.

"Yeah, yeah." I rolled my eyes at him and laughed.

I rode out of the property with Billy in silence. It wasn't even awkward at all, which is weird because usually for me being around people I don't know is super awkward. Especially when it's quiet. I guess I'm just a socially awkward person like that. I don't even know why I agreed to this either. He could have killed me or raped me or something like that. Something about him just made me trust him.

     The moon was really bright and it illuminated the area around us and with our eyes adjusted it was almost clear to see. The lantern Billy had tried on the string of his saddle also helped light the way. The way you might be thinking he was holding it probably seemed faulty, but it worked. Billy looked over at me and started laughing almost hysterically.

"What's so funny?" I raised an eyebrow at him. The lantern bounced against his leg, casting shadows. The lantern had a metal cage type thing keeping it from burning his leg and his horse and his saddle.

"It's so funny that you and I are going on a ride, at like ten at night and I don't even know you." Billy laughed.

      "You killed a man before, who says you aren't gonna kill me?" I look at him. He look at me and laughed his hysterical laugh.

"I wouldn't kill ya," Billy answered. "So I guess I said it."

"Smart ass." I rolled my eyes at him.

"So, anyone here have any special talents here?" Billy raised an eyebrow.

          "Well most of us are good with the iron. Charley is a pugilist, ya know? Not as handy with guns. Chavez is really good with knives, throwing them and just overall fighting with them. He's tried teaching me once, it was a complete crash and burn for the throwing part. Gotta say I'm pretty good at fighting with them, though." I rambled on.