Chapter 1

"Micheala get down here now, please!" I heard my father, John Tunstall yell. He probably wanted me to make breakfast for him and the other five boys. I never knew why my father took in all these boys, who by the way, are all my age or around it. Probably because he wanted more children but couldn't have any after mother passed away while giving birth to me.

     "Okay, father!" I got out of my bed and changed into a pair of jeans and a light blue button down shirt. I left my long, well mid back length blonde hair in its French braid. It got a little messed up from sleeping so it left a few hairs framing my face. I quickly walked down the stairs, rolling my sleeves up as I made my way down. "Yes?" I asked my father who was sitting on a chair at the table. There was a plate with scrambled eggs on it and the rest of the boys had some to.

     "Come eat with us. I made some for you." John nodded in the direction of a plate of eggs and an empty seat.

     "Thanks," I made my way to the empty seat and sat down. I was in between Doc and Chavez. Everyone was eating in silence.

     "Good morning, Micheala." Doc said and smiled down at me. I was the shortest in the house. Not only was I the shortest but the only girl in the house.

     "Morning, Doc." I smiled back at him. I heard a choking like sound come from Dirty Steve.

     "Ugh, you two are disgusting." Dirty Steve groaned. Dick, or Richard as you may now him by, punched Steve in the arm.

    "Oh shut up Steve. We aren't even a thing." I made a face at him and Doc gave Dirty Steve a dirty look.

     "Doc, Micheala, we are going into town after breakfast, okay?" John said. "And might I advise you to put on a dress. People will find something else to bug me about if you go into town with pants.

     As an immediate response I groan. Both to the news of going into town and having to wear a dress. Two of some of my least favourite things. "Do I have to?" I complained.

     "to what? wearing a dress or going into town?" My father laughed lightly.

     "Both." I answered him, a mouthful of food.

     "Yes to both. And don't speak with food in your mouth, its not ladylike or proper table manners." John scolded me. I just rolled my eyes with my head toward my food so he couldn't see it. 

"Now, I'd say we stop off at Juan Patrn's for two jolly big drams and one ginger beer with a dollar of whipped cream." John suggested. Both Doc and I immediately liked the idea.

     "Who gets the whisky?" Doc asked. I gave Doc a look clearly stating how dumb he was for asking.

      "Seniority, Doc, the one closest to coffin. Anyway, if I buy you two a dram, you must promise not to tell the other boys." My father smiled at us. 

     "Oh, it's promised all right." I said and Doc nodded. We never did get to buying those drinks. we heard a gunshot and boy around Doc and I's age came running out of a pub. "Oh no." I groaned.

     "Not another hanging." John said.

      The boy bolted into the pen with the cows and hid behind the fence. John looked over at me and signaled for me to get in the back. I nodded and moved from my seat in between the two men and got into the back of the wagon. John brought the wagon up beside the boy who pointed his handgun at my father. Doc pointed his shotgun at him almost as quick as the boy pulled his gun on us. On instinct, I put my hand on the handgun that was tucked in my cowboy boot hidden by my floral printed burgundy dress I got from my mother.