VIII

"Fuck!" Eliza exclaimed, bolting upright.
"Dude! My dad is home!" Beverly scolded, sitting up next to her, "What's up?"
"Curfew was an hour ago! My dad's gonna kill me!"
"Oh no."
The girls got off the bed, frantically packing away El's belongings.
"Take my bike." Bev offered, "It gives me an excuse to come over tomorrow."
Eliza, deciding it wasn't a good moment to be selfless and refuse, smiled gratefully, "Thanks. My dead body won't lie undiscovered for too long then."
"Good luck!" The redhead grimaced as she watched her best friend clamber down the steps and cycle away.

Eliza sighed as she gazed at her bruised face in the bathroom mirror. She'd covered most of the blue with makeup but there was no hiding the swelling of her eyes. Giving up, she returned to her bedroom. Eliza was alone a lot. Her dad's job meant he was out most days, Henry spent his time doing God knows what with his 'friends', and before this summer, she hadn't had any herself. She didn't hate it though. Well, she didn't use to. That was what Eliza didn't like about the one girl and six boys. Without them, she was lonely. Before she could simply play one of her mixtapes from Henry or an old vinyl of her mother's, dancing and singing like a patient at Juniper Hill to entertain herself. Now, she craved the feeling in the wind in her hair as she clung to the back of Silver, or rolling her eyes with Stan as Richie and Eddie bickered back and forth. After what felt like hours (but could have only been minutes), Eliza decided to call Beverly. The two had spoken only that morning and had agreed for Bev to collect her bike later in the day but she was quickly growing impatient. It took a few rings for the girl to answer but Eliza was glad nonetheless.
"Hello?"
"Can't get enough of me, can you?" Bev joked down the line.
"Don't get too ahead of yourself. You were my last resort. I'm running out of records. I'd rather hear all of Richie's jokes twice than listen to another Wham! album." El grunted.
"Jeez."
"I know."
"Why don't you do that?"
"Do what?"
"Listen to Richie's jokes. Call him."
"I can't tell if you're being serious or not."
"Do you not remember yesterday's outburst?"
"Yeah, but..."
"He likes you, dipshit! You've already kissed him! Call him!"
Eliza faked a sound of annoyance, glad that her friend wasn't able to see her grin, "Under one condition."
"What?" Bev warily questioned.
"You do something about Bill! It's driving me insane!"
"It's not like that! The poem wasn't from him anyway."
"That just means you have two admirers. My money's on Ben."
"I hate you."
"Love you too, babycakes."
"You've been spending too much time with Richie." Beverly stated, earning a scoff from El, "I've gotta go but I'll see you later, okay?"
"Alright. See ya, Bevvy."
"Call him!"
The phone call quickly ended Eliza groaned in frustration.

_________________

"Richie!" Mrs. Tozier called from the kitchen, "Answer the bloody phone!"
"Okay, Mum!" He yelled back, rushing down the stairs to grab the handset, "Hello?"
"Richard?"
"Sugar Lips?"
"Don't make me hang up."
"Muffin? Sweet Cheeks? Angel? Dearest?"
"I'm gonna barf."
"Is there anything you want in particular? Or are you just after a good time?"
"Like I'd ever fuck you!"
"Ouch. Are you home alone?"
"That's kinda creepy, but yeah. Why?"
"I'll come over."
"I don't know..."
"I won't try anything!"
"I know! But what if Henry or my dad come back?"
"I'll climb out the window. I'm stealthy. Like a ninja." Gotta love Steve ;)
"Under one condition. You bring popcorn."
"Deal."

"Knock knock!" Richie called, banging his fist against the wooden door.
"Who's there?" El's muffled voice rang.
"Dewey."
"Dewey who?"
"Dewey have to use a condom?"
Eliza opened the door, grinning, "That was terrible. Where are the goods?"
"The popcorn or the condoms?" Richie smirked.
"You can't make two condom jokes in a row, doofus. It's common comedy knowledge."
"What do you know about comedy?" He teased as they entered El's bedroom.
"Don't underestimate me, Tozier. Welcome to my humble abode."
She flopped onto her bed as the boy stood awkwardly in the door frame.
She smirked, "What? Never been in a girl's room before?"
Richie stuttered for a few moments before crafting his response, "Never of one this pretty."
El groaned and sat up straight to watch him look around the room. It was tiny (or 'cosy' as her mum used to say) and the pale blue walls were cracked from years of neglect (Rena had offered to help her repaint them but Oscar had said it was pointless), but it was her safe place and she loved it.
"Are these all yours?" He exclaimed once he reached her record collection, "Pretty impressive."
She couldn't help but grin in pride as she jumped to his side, "I've been collecting them for years. I've got all of my mum's too. Im not really into a specific genre and I listen to loads of new and old stuff but it's cool, you know? Vic, Henry's best friend, makes me a mixtape too every year for my birthday. One Christmas him and Henry saved up to get me an Elvis album 'cause it was the first year without my mum and I was really bummed. I guess I mostly listen to rock. Vic and Henry got me into it. I'm not allowed to play loud music when my dad is home though. I have to play my mixtapes. Oh no. I'm rambling, aren't I?"
Richie smiled, "Don't worry. It's cute."
"Shut up." She mumbled, hoping she wasn't as red as she thought she probably was.
"Are those the pictures you took at the carnival?"
"Yeah."
A handful of polaroids hung onto a piece of string Henry had 'bought' for her above her bed. Most featured the members of The Losers' Club but a few pictured Henry pulling faces and there was one of Eliza and a fat woman (whom Richie assumed to be Butch's girlfriend, and choosing politeness as the only reason it was on display) posing awkwardly.
"Why aren't there any of you?" Richie asked as he moved closer.
"Because I'm the one taking the pictures, doofus."
"Where's your camera?"
El pointed to her desk, "Why?"
Catching her off guard, he pointed the lens to her face and snapped a photo.
"Richie!" She groaned, taking the camera out of his hands.
He held up the Polaroid, grinning, "Pretty. As usual."
She reached out again but he turned his back to her.
"Let me see!" She whined, crossing her arms.
"Nope."
"Well what are you doing with it then?"
"Keeping it."
"That's weird." She argued.
"You have pictures of me." He stated, simply.
"Yeah, but-" She huffed.

"Wait there."
"Where are you going?" Richie protested.
Eliza pulled herself off the bed, resisting his grip on her waist, "Just the bathroom."
"Need any help?" He winked and she rolled her eyes.
"Just keep watching the movie."
"I don't need to. I've watched Star Wars hundreds of times."
"Then why did you pick it, nerd." She smirked, leaning on the door frame.
"Be long, you must not!" He called as she left the room, giggling.
After a few minutes, there was a knock at the door. Without thinking or having El there to stop him, he headed towards it. Without hesitation, he swung it open.
"What are you doing here?! Where's Eliza?" The visitor questioned, eyes wide.
Oh shit.