III

Eliza twirled in the mirror, studying every inch on her small figure. She poked her stomach and sighed. As she was contorting herself, Henry walked straight into her room.
"What the fuck are you doing?" He laughed, causing his sister to slap his arm.
"Do I look okay?" She frowned.
He smirked, "Do you want the truth?"
"No."
"Then you look absolutely horrific. What's the occasion?"
"There isn't one. Am I not allowed to want to look nice?"
"If you don't tell me where you're going you know I'll just have to follow you" He stated, crossing his arms.
"Just down to the quarry. No biggie." She muttered, smoothing down her pleated skirt.
"With who?"
"Just some friends! Jeez! What's with all the questions?!" She exclaimed, dramatically throwing her hands in the air.
"I'm just worried about you."
"There's nothing to worry about."
"Seriously? Have you not heard about all those miss-"
"I'll be fine, Henry. There are seven of us. Safety in numbers and all that shit." She sighed, cutting him off.
He pulled her in for a tight hug and kissed her forehead, "I hate you."
"I hate you too."

After settling down her bike, Eliza jogged to stand by Beverly who was in the process of sliding off her dress and shoes.
"Get ready to jump." Bev whispered and Eliza took a step back, shaking her head.
In front of the girls stood five boys: Eddie, Richie, Bill, Stanley and Ben. Eddie and Richie were arguing over something that sounded disgusting and they clearly were unaware of the two behind them.
"Come on. You'll be fine."
After a few minutes of hesitation, El gingerly pulled off her jumper and shirt before the rest of her clothes.
"At least if we die, we die together." She only half joked.
"Ready?" Beverly smiled, taking Eliza's hand and squeezing it.
Eliza nodded.
"We'll go!" Her and Bev called, startling the boys.
They ran to the edge, keeping their hands interlocked.
"Sissies." El laughed as they leapt of the cliff into the sparkling, blue water.
"WHAT THE FUCK?!" Richie screamed  from above her and she giggled again.
"Are you coming or is this all too scary for your simple brain?" She teased, earning two middle fingers from Richie.
One by one, the rest of the group entered the water. All of a sudden, Eliza squealed. Richie had come up between her legs, raising her onto his shoulders.
"CHICKEN FIGHT!" He yelled and she slapped his chest.
"What?" He whined.
"Could've given me some warning."
"Ready?" Bev taunted, already sat on Bill.
"You bet." Richie sneered as they took their positions.
"It's on, Marsh." Eliza smirked.
Bill counted down from 3 and the girls began to push each other, aiming to knock the other over.
After a few minutes of struggle, Richie noticed Bill start to weaken. He squeezed El's thigh to grab her attention. When she looked down at him, he took a few steps backwards and winked. She nodded and a smug grin began to form on her lightly freckled face. Bill came closer to the pair and mustering up all her strength, Eliza toppled her friends over.
"FUCK YEAH!" Richie cheered, lifting up his hand for her to high five.
She accepted and they began to sing Guns N' Roses in celebration, Richie on air guitar.
"I love Welcome To The Jungle as much as the next person could you put me down now? I don't think my throat can take anymore." She panted after shouting the entirety of Sweet Child O' Mine.
After a second of hesitation, he smirked, "Shame about your throat: that ruins all our plans for tonight. And sure."
He jumped backwards into the blue, submerging both of them. He let go of El and they swam to the surface.
"RICHARD, YOU DICK!" She scolded, splashing him before paddling over to Beverly.
"Don't look now but Bill and Ben are both totally checking you out."
"Don't look now but Richie is totally checking you out." She mimicked, winking at her best friend.
"Shut up." Eliza mumbled as she quickly glanced at the boy who was looking right at her.
"Do you like him?" Bev teased.
"Bevvy, I don't like him as a friend, let alone as anything else." She stated and Beverly laughed.
"I don't see what's so funny. His jokes are mean and offensive. They're not even funny!"
Bev smiled, "Say whatever you gotta say to make yourself feel better."
"Whatever you gotta say."
"What?" Beverly questioned.
"Oh my! I feel so much better!" She dramatically exclaimed, sending the pair into a fit of giggles.
"Okay but on a serious note, what's up with you and Billy Boy, huh?" She wiggled her eyebrows.
"Nothing's up." She quietly lied, her cheeks dusting pink.
"Are you two together?!" El squealed, only to have her mouth covered by Bev's hand.
"No!"
El removed her hand, "But you like each other?"
"No. Yes? I don't know." She sighed and Eliza ruffled her hair.
"He totally likes you. He's not even trying to hide it! Look!" She reassured, looking at Bill who was still making eyes at the ginger.
Bev and Bill made eye contact, smiling whilst Eliza just floated on her back, unable to wipe the grin off her face. She'd made friends. Actual friends. And she couldn't be happier.