• t w o •

Halite slid in to a desk near the back of the classroom in her first period, English, class. She prayed no one would talk to her or sit near her. But what happened was the opposite. A girl with tan skin, short curly dark brown hair, green eyes, and freckles sat down next to her.

"Hi," said the girl.

"Hi," whispered Halite back.

"I'm Olivine."

"Halite."

"Pretty name."

"Oh thanks."

"You're welcome. I love your shoes by the way." She said and Halite looked at her boring Stan Smith Adidas on her feet.

"Thanks."

"So ready for a new school year?" Olivine grinned.

Halite desperately wanted to stop talking, but Olivine was actually pretty nice. "Yeah," Halite lied.

"Same. I just moved here. And I'm so excited for high school!"

Then the teacher came back from her desk and said to the class, "Hello. I'm Mrs. Schist. Welcome to high school. I teach English so if you're schedule doesn't say that then go ahead and get out."

When class was over Breccia and her friend Scoria came stood near the door. "Olive hurry up! We don't have all day!" Breccia wined.

"Bye Halite," Olivine said to Halite and then hurried away with Breccia and Scoria.

How is someone that nice friends with Breccia? Halite couldn't fathom it. She picked up her backpack and put it on her shoulder and headed to her next class.

*****

After first period when call was over Olivine walked with Breccia and Scoria. She thought about Halite sitting alone in class. She thought about how Halite needed a friend.

"Oh yeah Olive. BT dub-dubs you can't talk to Halite. She's like so totes boring and weird," Breccia decided for Olivine. Olivine's heart fell but she tried not to show it on her face so she plastered a a fake smirk.

"She literally never talks." Scoria said.

"Yeah. Also her brother who is so hot, Calcite, isn't into me so yeah. We hate her."

"But how wou-" Olivine began but Breccia dun Scoria both shushed her.

"Don't argue with me," Breccia scoffed.

Olivine strolled after her so conflicted on to leave Breccia and Scoria and be Halite's friend or stay with them. With them she was instantly popular which she had never been at any of her old schools. Maybe there was a way she could do both. Just secretly be friends with Halite.

*****

After almost a month in late September it was time for homecoming. There were spirit days, assemblies, a big football game, and a dance. Calcite has his eyes set on one and one one girl to be his homecoming date to the dance. Rhyolite. But the problem was that she happened to be his sister's best friend. He had had a crush on Rhyolite since they were in sixth grade. But he hadn't told his sister. Since he was actually allowed to go to this dance he finally decided he'd ask Rhyolite.

After school one day Halite was in her room doing homework when Calcite decided it was the perfect time to talk to Halite. "Hallie can I come in?" He said knocking on her door.

"Sure," Halite replied and Calcite opened the door and sat on the edge of her bed.

"So I wanted to ask/tell you something."

"Okay."

"So for a long time I've had a crush on Rhyolite. I wanted to ask her to Homecoming. Are you cool with that? Since she is your best friend and stuff."

"Of course!" Halite exclaimed, "Cal why are you the best brother ever?" She smiled, "ps. I think you guys would be cute. Also I know she'll say yes."

"How are you sure?"

"I just know..." she said with a mischievous smile on her face.

"Okay. Thanks Hay." He hugged his sister and ruched out of the room to go start the poster he'd ask her with. Halite laughed and sighed, wishing Mica would ask her to the dance, but she knew he wouldn't. She knew he wouldn't. She was more of a sister to him.

*****

Two days later on Wednesday, Calcite was ready to ask Ryolite. It was during lunch and Halite and Rhyolite were in the hallway eating lunch like they usually did. Calcite has quickly eaten his lunch and was waiting to go ask her. He stood just around the corner with Mica. Calcite took a deep breath.

"Come on dude. Just go," Mica said and pushed Calcite. Clumsily, Calcite tripped and dropped the poster face down and also fell to the ground.

"Oh my gosh Cal are you Okay?" Rhyolite asked helping him up and grabbing the poster.

"Yeah I'm fine. Thanks."

"No problem. Here's your poster."

"Look at it."

"What?"

"Look at the poster." Confused, Rhyolite turned the poster over.

"Cool you're asking someone to homecoming. Who are you asking?"

"You. I was actually going to ask you. This wasn't how it was supposed to go though."

"Really? Me?" Rhyolite cheered, "Yes! Of course Calcite! Also by the way this way of asking was way more fun." She laughed, "by Calcite!"

"Bye Rhyli."

Well that went well, Calcite thought as a dorky grin was plastered on his red blushing face.

*****

Later, Mica and Calcite we're walking down the hall and Mica turned and said, "hey Cal? Can I ask you something?"

"Sure."

"You'd you be cool if I went to homecoming with Halite? I've always liked her and she's your sister so I wanted to make sure we're cool."

"Yeah! Halite would definitely go with you!" Calcite exclaimed, very happy that Halite could go to the dance.

"Cool! I want to go ask her now," Mica said, "C'mon."

They hurried over to Halite and Mica went up to her. "Hey Hallie? I was wondering if you'd like to go to homecoming with me?" He asked.

"Um I don't know Mica," Halite said hesitantly, "I guess so."

Mica, a little crestfallen she wasn't very excited, nodded and said, "Okay. We'll see you later. I would probably go."

"Bye Mica," Halite said.

Mica and Calcite left and Mica trudged along sad that Halite didn't have feelings for him as he did. He had been sure she did. But he guessed he had been sadly mistaken.

*****

This chapter was written by me leah_ann !!! Hope you all liked it! Thanks for reading! Byeeeeee! Please comment, vote, and follow us and our personal accounts as well! Love you all!

Love, leah_ann ❤️