Chapter 25: Fighting for Position

Start from the beginning

"Um, well, really it's me that should apologize for coming over uninvited like this, but I was with Draco when we received the message that you were looking for him – "

"Which was actually less than ten minutes ago," Draco interrupted.

Blaise's eyes narrowed, but he quickly shook it off and looked back at Hermione with a brilliant, charming smile. "No need to apologize, Granger. It's a pleasure to see you."

"Are you sure, Zabini?" Hermione asked. "I really don't want to be rude. I only came because, well, since you came looking at Harry's office, we assumed it might have something to do with the investigation. But, I really don't want you to feel – "

"I'm honored, Granger. Truly," Blaise insisted. "And please, call me Blaise."

A light blush rose to Hermione's cheeks. "Um, thank you… Blaise. And you, er, can call me Hermione."

"A pleasure, Hermione."

Hermione's insides squirmed when Blaise's eyes locked on hers. He wore an enchanting smile as he took her hand and placed a kiss upon it. "Please won't you come in?" Still delicately holding her fingers, he gracefully guided her inside. She followed uncertainly, looking over her shoulder at Draco.

Draco noticed Hermione's timid flush and scowled at Blaise. Blaise did not let go of Hermione's hand as he had guided her to an armchair near the fireplace, where he offered her the seat. Draco roughly bumped Blaise with his elbow as he passed and muttered, "Watch it, Zabini."

Hermione had looked at him when she heard him speak, but had obviously not heard what he had said. Blaise acted like he had not heard him either, but Draco could tell that he had when Blaise's smirk grew.

Draco was closer to Blaise than anyone else and he knew that one of the reasons their friendship had become so strong was that Blaise was not intimidated by him. In turn, Draco never felt threatened by Blaise… with the exception of times when he turned on the charm with girls they both liked, like he'd done with Hermione.

Draco considered himself an attractive man. Girls often took an interest in him because of his looks. It was not something he really cared about, as he was often annoyed when vapid girls decided to pay attention to him solely because of his looks. But Draco also knew that his looks could not hold a candle to Blaise's. Not only was Blaise handsome, he had an undeniable, ambrosial charm with the ladies. He was one of those men that had to the ability to woo any woman he wished, and often did. It was a trait he could turn on and off like a switch, as he had just done with Hermione. One moment he was casual Blaise and the next he had Hermione locked in the enthralling gaze of his dark eyes. Women found him attractive enough without him trying. His dark umber skin was flawless, his features were strong and masculine, yet soft and enticing, and his smile was inviting and irresistible. It disgusted Draco. For though they were both attractive men, charm was one skill that Draco felt quite deficient in.

"May I get you a drink?" Blaise asked Hermione politely.

"Um, er…" She glanced at Draco in question but felt even more indecisive by the intense, but otherwise unreadable, look on Draco's face. "Yes. Yes, thank you."

"I apologize, but the only thing I really have to offer is gentlemen's tea. I hope that's alright," Blaise continued, pulling a glass tumbler from the small cupboard behind the sofa.

"Gentlemen's tea?" Hermione asked looking strangely at the cup in his hand.

"Firewhiskey," Draco answered flatly.

"Discussions between men are rarely what they should be without it," Blaise explained. "It's not often that I bring women here to talk, so I find myself rather unprepared. I do hope firewhiskey will be okay."