Killer Elevator

It always started with the elevator

Katy's in a building, it didn't matter what the building was for, where the building was or the details of the lobby of the building but she'd find herself in a lobby in the building. There would be this front desk that looked bland and boring with no one behind it. In fact, there was never anybody around the lobby, it was always completely empty.
She'd walk pass the desk looking around myself and enter to where the elevators were.
To simply put it, she's terrified of elevators. It wasn't the height that made her scared of them. Sure Katy might get nervous before getting on an airplane, but she wasn't afraid of airplanes, they were a means of getting over long distances faster.
The reason why Katy was afraid of elevators was because ever since she was a child she feared that she would get stuck on one forever.
She thought, "Maybe I was claustrophobic, I didn't know and neither did my therapist, but I knew for sure that I just hated elevators."
So she stands in the small lobby area where four elevator doors stood, all openings with soft elevator music playing from them. They were well lit and nice interiors, friendly, inviting like as if they were smiling at her, waving for her to enter to promise Katy that nothing wrong would happen.
But Katy knew that wasn't true.
Despite her fear that was building up in her throat, she would walk into the nearest elevator, no matter how many times Katy tried not to enter she'd enter anyway. As soon as Katy was inside the elevator the doors would ding close and the top button, which was the eighty ninth floor would be pressed. She pressed her back against the corner of the elevator as it began to go up.
As it would go up Katy would become more scared more frighten, she hugs herself, tears spilling down her cheeks. It would feel like forever to get up to the top, but once it did, that would be when her heart would stop and she would bite her lower lip. And the wait... always the suspense the wait would be the surprise the waiting for it to drop when you don't know when it would drop. And just when she thinks, "it's not going to drop I'm just stuck." It drops fast unexpectedly.
Katy screamed her head off as it drop, the digital numbers counting down fast from eighty nine to one, though when it got to one Katy would wake up.

Katy shot upright, breathing hard. She closed her eyes as she sighs, she was sweating to death like always her black hair matted to her face as sweat drip off her chin. Her pajamas which was a white tank top with dark blue shorts were matted to her skin.
There came a knock on the door as it open to reveal her mother.
"Another nightmare?" she asks her as Katy nods her head.
"Again," she says climbing out of the bed which left a wet sweat stain of where she slept on, it was the midst of August the hottest month and she only had light sheets but they didn't keep her from sweating or chase the nightmare away.

"Are you going to be ok enough to go to school?" her mother asks with concern. She turns to her mother from the dresser giving her a tired smile.
"I'll be fine mom," she says as her mother smiles closing the door. She went through her regular routine, washing up, brushing and mouth washing. She pulls on a short-sleeve yellow T-shirt with light blue denim shorts. She pulls on her yellow converse and ties her raven hair into a ponytail and grabbing her bag.
As she climbs down the stairs, she could smell breakfast; muffins and scramble eggs. She enters the kitchen kissing her father on the cheek before lowering herself into a chair, her plate of breakfast was already waiting.
"Your mother tells me you had another nightmare?" The father says. She looks up to see concern on her father's face. She hated worrying her parents about this, she didn't want to worry them over this, and it was so childish why couldn't she get over it.
"Yeah, same one...in an empty building , I get in the elevator it goes all the way up then, comes crashing down." She explains while shoving muffins into her mouth. She felt her father's hand on her as her mother sat on her right.
"It's going to be ok, you're going to your therapist after school so she'll help you... and we're here for you if you want to talk about it," he says as her mother smiles brightly touching her other hand. Katy couldn't help but hug them both, she could feel her eyes water. It was hard enough being a teenager as it was.
"Thank you... I love you two so much," she says as her mother hands her a tissue.
"Don't get emotional before classes" her mother says causing her to giggle. She ate her breakfast chatting with her parents about school events and her best friend Catherine. When she finished, she kissed her parents bye and left the house.
She lived in a suburban neighborhood not far from the Orlando. She took the bus to and from school, which was only five stops in between. She waited at her regular spot for the bus; she knew at any moment her best friend would try to scare her.
"Hey!" her best friend Catherine screams causing her to jump and her heart to pound loudly in her ears. She held her chest as she turns to Catherine who giggles. Her hair was pulled into a ponytail, the tail of it floats over her shoulder. She wore a blue tank top with lime-green short-shorts and platform heels. She held her school bag close to her as she smiled.
"Did I scare you like I always do?" she asks causing Katy to giggle.
"Of course, you know how easily scared I am these days," she says. At this she watch Catherine's smile lower to a frown.
"Oh, no not another nightmare?" Catherine asks her and Katy nods her head feeling ashamed. Their bus pulls to a slow stop before them the door open. They climb onto the bus and slid their bus pass through the slider before walking further into the bus. The bus was mostly filled with business people off to work or people dress in store uniform, high school to elementary school kids in groups chatting loudly. Catherine and Katy found a booth facing forward and sat down.
"Yeah, another nightmare, always the same, though, I think today after school when I go to see my therapist, she'll probably prescribe me meds this time. These past few days she been talking about me taking them" she explains hugging her bag close to her.
"How do you feel about taking them, how do your parents feel about you taking them?" she asks her. Katy slowly looks outside the window at the passing scenery.
"My mom thinks if it helps me sleep better at night, then of course, but my dad has his concerns... he not so sure I should really take them if there another way I can get help without medicines you know... and as for me, I'm just about ready to take anything to vanish these nightmares from my mind," she explains pushing a loose strand behind her ear.
The bus ride was a short once being it wasn't being quite the morning rush yet. They got to school with only thirty minutes before class. They walk through the double glass doors and into the hallways of their high school. Teenagers were everywhere chatting, talking, throwing footballs at each other, the many different color lockers gleaming from the wall length windows showing the morning sunlight.
"Well... aren't there things you can do to like relax yourself before you go to sleep... I always believe our last thoughts turn into dreams so maybe if you thought about a cute guy or watch a movie before you slept, then you'd dream about that instead of dreaming of killer elevators?" Catherine explains playing with her hands as she said this. Katy loved when she played with her fingers, it was such a nervous gesture, but it was what made Catherine, Catherine.
"I tried everything I could think of, I've researched till my brain fried over nothing works," she explains as she stops before her locker, Catherine's lock was next to her, a shocking purple compare to Katy's who was a bright sunny yellow.
"Well then maybe the medicines are the only answer," she hears Catherine say from behind her locker. Katy shrugs her shoulders as she goes to take her books out transferring what she needed and what she didn't need.
As she was shoving her large American history textbook into her bag she felt a shoulder shove into her hard causing her to bang into the locker and bruise her chest, the text book drop onto her feet which cause her to curse through clench teeth.
"You should watch where you're standing loser" a deep male voice says.