11. Getting Personal with the Help

Start from the beginning

He looked like he thought there was much more to what Finn had told him and by the way he smirked, I could tell he was planning to get to the bottom of whatever it was.

"Is that all?" I asked, worried that Finn might've slipped in that we had dated for three years.

I regretted my question though when I noticed that that was exactly what Ethan Clarke had wanted; a sign that there was more to Finn and I than Finn had revealed.

"Was there more that he failed to mention?" he arched a brow.

"No," I shook my head fervently.

I didn't know why exactly I didn't want him or anyone to find out my relation to Finn.

Maybe it was because I felt stupid that I didn't know who I had been dating for the past three years. Or maybe it was because I knew that that would just further prove to Ethan Clarke that I was a gold-digger and that I was after his family's fortune. Or maybe it was for the mundane reason that I didn't want to be tied to the Hammond name ever again.

"Really?"

I decided than that I hated this side of him more. I preferred him being standoffish and aloof.

At least that version of him didn't put me in awkward situations such as this. At least that version warranted that I just do my job and leave, not play mindgames with him.

"If you'll excuse me," I began deciding go be the one who left. I couldn't stand the way his eyes left me feeling like an insect under inspection. "I have to continue with work."

* * *

"Hey Leah," I greeted her as soon as I spotted her talking to Susan. She was wearing a pair of black jeans and a red blouse, accentuating her lean figure.

She turned and saw me and came to give me a small hug. "I haven't seen you in forever," she commented, a slight exaggeration on her part. "How's work going?"

I smiled, trying to not think is the bane that was Ethan Clarke. "Everything's great," I replied. Except for Ethan Clarke that is.

I had decided not to bring up Ethan Clarke and the problems that he was causing with me. He was a problem that I had decided not to make a big deal out of by telling everyone. Besides, I wasn't someone to tattle, especially over some spoilt, conceited asshole that thought that money was the answer to everything.

I could handle Ethan Clarke on my own. I had been doing it since I met him.

"Really?" Leah asked as if she sensed something from my answer.

I nodded, trying to reassure her, my hand touching hers briefly as if that could make it more believable.

"So you wouldn't want to think about applying for other jobs while you're working there?" she smiled playfully. "I mean if you're resigned to being a maid for the rest of your life, go for it."

I gasped. "What job?"

Leah pulled me towards the filing room. "I might have a friend who said that there was an opening at one of their branches downtown. It's a restaurant and the position's for the assistant manager."

I couldn't hide the smile that had spread over my face at her words. Nor did I want to. I finally was getting the opportunity to put my years of studying to good use.

"When do we apply?"

Leah smiled as she patted my hand. "Slow down girl. Take a deep breath and think about it. You'll still have to think about what this all means. With the Clarkes you don't have to worry about food, living and other amenities. Once you take this job, you'll have to start worrying over it again."