Part 4: Identity

The world is dark for approximately one Nano-second, and then a blinding brightness overcomes my senses. After a moment, my eyes adjust and I'm staring up at a beige ceiling. I sit up and realize I am on a bed—not just any bed—a bed with a mattress. I sit up and take in my surroundings.

Trains. Lots of trains. The bedroom is filled to the brim with toy trains, books about trains, and colored pictures of trains.

I yawn dramatically, and jump excitedly out of my bed. I grab one of the crayon-colored train pictures and rush to a door down the hall. I knock on the loudly on the door, and after a couple of seconds, a girl opens the door. She is taller than me and she stands with her arms crossed, but for some reason I feel comforted instead of scared.

My instincts are right, as she laughs—a light and warm laugh—and hugs me close. I try to get a good look at her face, so I can see her smile, but it is covered by a shadow. I shrug it off and show her my picture.

She says, "Good job!" and hugs me again.

"Did you see I colored in the lines like you said!?" I ask loudly. She quickly grabbed my arm tightly and pulled me into her bedroom. She closed the door behind us and placed a finger on my lips.

"Shhh, remember?" She asks, "we don't want to wake mommy and Greg up, right?"

I gasp, "I'm so sorry. I forgot," I whisper.

"That's okay," she says. Her face is still hidden, but I know she's smiling.

My stomach suddenly growls. We both giggle.

"Can I have breakfast?" I ask.

She hesitates before saying, "Of course. How about you stay here and color some more pictures for me? I'll bring the breakfast back and we can eat in here together. Sound good?"

"Yup!" I chirp.

She leaves the room and I choose a picture of a train with a smiley face. In the middle of deciding whether the caboose should be red or green, I hear a loud crash coming from the kitchen. I toss my crayons down and run towards the noise.

When I reach the kitchen, everyone is yelling. The girl is on the ground and Greg is standing above her, yelling. He's so loud I can't understand what he's saying, but I hear a lot of bad words. All of the noise scares me, and I begin to cry. Greg turns to me and starts yelling. I cry even harder, and he starts stomping over to me.

The girl runs in front of Greg and says something in a soft voice. Greg says something back to her, he is still loud, but he isn't shouting anymore.

The girl grabs my hand and takes me back into her room. She takes her thumb and gently rubs it across my cheeks.

"Shhh, don't cry," she says.

I take my own thumb and rub it across her cheeks, because hers are wet too.

"We're gonna be okay," she says. She keeps repeating that. Over.

And over.

And over.