Chapter 6

"It's open!" Yelled a female voice from somewhere inside the ramshackle cottage. Thorin headed inside, Hazel close at his heels. Dis was in the kitchen, up to her elbows in something or other. She was shorter than Thorin, with curly black hair and the same ice blue eyes. Her round face was full of cheer and kindness, a sort of motherly love constantly radiating from her. She wiped her hands and embraced Thorin.
"Nadad," she smiled.
"It's good to see you namad," he replied. Dis pulled away and looked up at her older brother.
"What on middle earth have you been up to? I haven't seen you in ages. I've missed you, you anti-social bastard," she scolded, folding her arms across her chest.
"Dis! Potty mouth. There are little ears around," chuckled Thorin. Dis just raised an eyebrow.
"Answer the question."
Thorin looked down at Hazel, putting a hand on her shoulder.
"I've been a little busy," he admitted.
~<>~~~<>~
Dis's gaze turned to Hazel, a warm smile immediately sweeping across her face. Hazel shuffled behind Thorin's legs a little more, peeking out shyly.
"Hey sweetie, it's alright, I'm not going to hurt you," Dis comforted. Looking at the ground, Hazel stuttered out a quiet
"H-H-Hi."
Dis smiled up at her brother.
"Oh she's adorable nadad," she said. Thorin just smiled back.
"Of course you would say that."
Hazel tugged gently on the edge of the coat she'd given back to Thorin and put her arms up timidly to him. Gently, Thorin picked her up and held her in his arms.
"I-I'm H-Hazel," she murmured, staying as close to her daddy as she could.
"That's a lovely name," smiled Dis. She went back over to the counter and continued making dinner. Hazel just watched as the two adults chatted, occasionally slipping into their native tongue of Khùzdul. The food smelt lovely, the kitchen was warm and Dis was kind, and Hazel began to think she could get used to this place.
~<>~~~<>~
"Muuuuuuuuummmmmm!!!!" Came a yell from upstairs. Not long after, a pair of boots came clattering down the stairs and a twelve year old dwarfling came running into the kitchen. His dark brown hair was soaked and there was water dripping down his tunic onto the floor. Hazel immediately hid her face in Thorin's chest, beginning to shake a little.
"What've you done now?" Sighed Dis, shutting the oven door.
"Fili threw water on me!" He whined. Thorin hushed Hazel gently, playing with her hair and rocking her gently.
"Stop shouting, ma'ak (son), you're scaring your cousin," Dis sighed. Kili just looked perplexed.
"I have a cousin?"
Dis looked exasperatedly at her older brother, who was too busy trying to calm his shaking daughter. Kili frowned, going over to his uncle and looking down at the tiny girl in his arms. She was looking up at him with wide, terrified eyes, her skinny frame shivering in fear.
"Hey, it's okay little one. I'm sorry for scaring you," he apologised, his voice turning soft and gentle. The girl was still staring at him, clutching a small blue teddy close to her chest. She was wearing a dress with horseshoe patterns all over it, white tights and a long sleeved top underneath. Kili's eyes flicked to the teddy bear.
"Do you like cuddly toys?" He asked. She nodded, not taking her eyes off him. Kili grinned, running back upstairs.
~<>~~~<>~
A few minutes later, Hazel found herself sat on the living room floor, surrounded by soft toys. Thorin sat in an armchair, watching her protectively and smiling as she and Kili played. Shyly, Kili picked up a teddy and made it wave at Hazel. There was a beat of silence before she giggled quietly, making both men grin. The tiny girl picked up her blue teddy and made him wave back before looking expectantly at the teddy in her cousin's hands. She continued to giggle as Kili began to do peek-a-boo with the teddy, glancing up at Thorin.
"L-Look d-daddy," she grinned, pointing at the teddy in Kili's hands. Thorin smiled down at his little daughter, the delighted look on her face as contagious as it was adorable.
"I can see princess," he said, looking over to Kili and smiling proudly. Hazel held up Lucy to Thorin.
"D-Daddy play t-too."
Knowing he wouldn't be able to worm his way out of it, he sat on the floor beside his daughter and took the teddy she was holding out to him.
"Y-Yay!" giggled Hazel. Thorin shot a glare at Kili who was laughing silently. The tiny girl clambered onto her daddy's lap before looking back at Kili's teddy. She began to giggle madly as the teddy began to catwalk towards them, pulling poses and strutting hilariously.
"Kee! Can you come help me please!" Called Dis from the kitchen. Kili rolled his eyes.
"Be back in a minute," he smiled, leaving the room. Thorin looked down at his daughter, who was still grinning.
"Having fun princess?" He asked. She nodded ecstatically.
"I-i-i like c-cousin Kili, d-daddy."
~<>~~~<>~
After they'd eaten, Thorin, Dis, Hazel and the boys sat in the living room. Thorin watched as Hazel and Kili resumed their game with the teddy bears, occasionally inputting into Dis and Fili's conversation. Pride kindled in the dwarf's heart at how relaxed and happy his little girl was around his sister and nephews; even if she was still a little jumpy. Eventually, Hazel leant back against her daddy's chair, rubbing her eyes and yawning. Thorin glanced at the clock.
"Time to go home, I think," he said, shifting in his seat.
"I-It's okay d-daddy, I-I'm not tired," mumbled Hazel, still rubbing her eyes. Thorin was having none of it, and picked her up gently.
"Say your goodbyes princess."
Hazel immediately looked to Kili, who was making the teddy bear in his hands wave at her. She gave a quiet giggle and made Mr Teddy wave back.
"B-Bye b-bye cousin Kili," she smiled. Kili winked at her and grinned.
"See you soon Hazel."