23. Captain Down

While waiting for Jim to get back to the door, Kate heard Scotty starting to stir, so she got up slowly and went over to check him out.  She figured either Jim knocked him out or he got hit in the head, so he was likely to need some checking over.

Kate started inspecting his head for any injuries, but he pushed her hands aside and pointed toward the door and said weakly, "Kate."

She pulled away and saw that Jim was now sitting there, and her heart dropped at the sight of him.  Of course she was proud of his bravery and his willingness to sacrifice himself for everyone on board, but she wasn't ready to lose her brother.

Kate said quickly, "Call Spock and Leonard and get them down here," then rushed back over to the door and got on her knees to be on level with Jim and could feel the tears spilling over.

She pressed her hand up to the glass, willing herself closer to him, but there was nothing she could do, so she settled on saying, "Hey Jim."

He looked weakly up at her and coughed before saying, "Hey Kate.  How's the ship?"

She sniffed back her tears, trying to stay strong for him, and said, "She's safe.  We're all safe, Jim.  You did it."

He nodded and said, "Good."

Silence settled on them for a brief moment, but Kate had to keep him talking.  She wasn't willing to let him go yet, so she pushed back a sob and asked, "What were you thinking," tears still flowing down her face.

Jim shrugged, and she could tell he was in a lot of pain.  All she wanted to do was open the door and be able to hold him, but that wasn't a possibility right now.  There was still too much radiation, and the door wouldn't open until decontamination was complete.  Wincing, he sat up a little higher on the wall and said, "I had to.  Everyone would die if I didn't."

Kate nodded and said through fresh tears in a broken voice, "But now you're leaving me."

Jim looked up, his sad eyes meeting hers, and said, "I know, sis, but you've got Bones now."

Kate didn't fight the sob that broke through or the tears as she countered, "But I still want you.  I've always had you.  I don't know what to do without you."

Jim nodded weakly and said, "You'll figure it out.  You've always been smarter and more capable."

She shook her head, letting her tears fall, and said, "But I don't want to."

Jim placed his hand weakly against the glass where hers still was, and said, "I know."

Kate didn't fight the emotions spilling over any more and said, "We lost dad.  You were supposed to be the one to give me away at my wedding someday.  You were supposed to be the cool uncle to my kids, and piss me off by spoiling them and going against my wishes."

Jim nodded weakly, his hand slipping away, and said, "I know, I'm sorry I can't be there for all that, but you and Bones will be just fine.  He'll take care of you," then Jim nodded behind her and saw that Leonard and Spock had arrived.

Leonard sank to the ground behind her and pulled her into his lap, holding onto her tightly as she continued to cry.  Spock sank down at the door as well and said, with more emotion that Kate had ever heard him use before, "You saved the crew."

Jim coughed again, the radiation having destroyed his whole body, and said, "You used what he wanted against him.  It was a nice move."

Spock shook his head and said, "It's what you would have done."

Jim nodded once and said, "And this, this is what you would have done.  What you did, in another time."

Confused, Kate wiped away the tears on her face, but it was a losing battle, as more continued to fall, as Spock asked, "What do you mean?"