2. Kobayashi Maru

Jim's eyes never left her as she stepped forward and said, "Allow me to be the first to welcome you all to Star Fleet Academy!"

Pike took a step up beside her and placed a hand on her shoulder as he said, "Those of you enlisting in the medical academy will see a lot more of my friend, here.  She joined us two years ago and finished medical academy, as well as some course work in both engineering and computer programming.  She is one of our most distinguished graduates, and we're happy to hold onto her a little longer as an instructor."

She looked up at Pike and smiled, then turned her attention back to Jim and noticed the man standing beside him for the first time.  Kate had to force herself to not stare at the tall, dark man beside her twin, which was difficult as he was looking right at her.  The man was a little taller than Jim, with dark hair and a five o'clock shadow on his face, and Kate thought that it was a shame that Star Fleet was going to force the man to be clean shaven.  The little bit of scruff on his face was damn attractive.  The man smiled at her, and she felt heat rise up her neck and face and turned her attention back to Captain Pike.  She wished at this moment that she was not a red-head.  Even as far away as she was from Jim and the handsome mystery man, it was surely visible that she was blushing.

Captain Pike had removed his hand from her shoulder and called out, "Uhura."

She stepped forward and said, "Yes Captain."

Kate noticed the way that Jim's eyes followed her friend and she rolled her eyes.  Of course Jim was interested in her already.  Little did he know that his interests would be useless.  Pike continued speaking to her, "You're back from leave, so you're dismissed."

She nodded once and walked away, stopping by Kate to say quietly, "See that Cassanova looking guy in the leather jacket over there?"

Kate pretended to play dumb, so she asked, "The blonde one or the tall dark and handsome one?"

Nyota rolled her eyes before saying, "The blonde one.  Make sure he doesn't find out my first name."

Kate nodded once as Nyota left to get settled back in on campus.  Captain Pike got the attention of the new recruits and said, "As for the rest of you, we'll get you all checked in so you can get your schedules and room assignments.  Welcome to Star Fleet!"  Then Pike turned and led the new recruits toward where they would be picking up all of their new enlistment information.

She lingered behind a little to wait for Jim, who did not disappoint her by rushing to her and saying, "Didn't expect you to find me so quickly."

Kate shrugged and replied, "I didn't know you would be on that shuttle.  Captain Pike asked me to be here to greet you all, which makes sense now knowing that he knew you would be on the shuttle."

Jim shook his head, "I didn't make that decision until last night."

Kate shook her head in response and said, "We've got a lot of things to catch up on Jim, but we do need to make sure we don't get left behind.  I don't want you to get into trouble on your first day."

She heard a deep southern voice say, "Seems like it will be difficult to keep Jim here out of trouble, ma'am."  She turned looked up at the man who had been standing beside Jim earlier.  He was much more attractive up close than he was from a distance, and that accent added points to how hot he was, but she pushed that thought to the back of her mind.

"And you are?" she asked extending her hand to the handsome southern gentleman.

"Leonard McCoy, darlin," he replied in his sweet southern drawl, then asked, "And who might you be?"

She smiled in return before replying, "Katelyn Kirk.  A pleasure to meet you."

Leonard crinkled his forehead, taking in what she said, and asked, "Kirk, as in Jim Kirk?"