7. Ups and Downs

Sulu was currently trying to get the Enterprise into position by Titan, and Kate was walking with Nyota behind Jim and Spock.  Leonard had gone to med bay to get a spot ready for Captain Pike.  They had to assume that Pike was still alive and that Jim and Spock would bring him back, but they couldn't be so optimistic as to think that Pike would be perfectly healthy.  Kate knew this was a big risk, sending Jim and Spock over to the Romulan ship on their own, but it was the only chance they had at getting Pike back and saving the planet.

When they arrived in the transporter room, they heard Sulu over the comm say, "We are in position above Titan."

Scotty seemed surprised, but complimented, "Really?  Fine job, Mister Sulu.  Well done."

As the comm cut off, Kate said, "Mister Scott, don't make the same mistake I did in underestimating Sulu.  He's really quite a good pilot and can take care of himself in a fight."

He raised an eyebrow and said, "Call me Scotty, lass.  And is that so?"

Jim cut off their conversation and said, "We can swap stories about the crew some other time. How are we Scotty?"  Kate could tell Jim was nervous, and rather than that scaring her it actually comforted her.  Cocky and arrogant Jim was the person that cheated so that he could pass the Kobayashi Maru exam.  This Jim knew he was taking a risk and was prepared to sacrifice his life so that he could save others.  She just hoped he and Spock would be able to protect each other.

Scotty looked at the panel in front of him and said, "The ship is in position, sir."

Jim nodded and pressed a button the panel and said, "Whatever happens, Mister Sulu, if you think you have the tactical advantage, you fire on that ship.  Even if we're still on board.  That's an order."  Kate closed her eyes and took a deep breath.  She knew Jim was right, but it still didn't feel good to think about the potential of her brother and her friend dying.

The comm was silent for a moment.  Sulu was probably digesting what Jim had ordered, but replied shortly, "Yes sir."

Jim nodded, almost to himself, then said, "Otherwise, we'll contact the Enterprise when we're ready to beam back."

Sulu responded more quickly this time and said, "Good luck," before the comm fell silent again.

Jim and Spock went to stand on the transporter pad, but Kate grabbed Jim's arm to keep him from stepping on the pad yet.  She hugged him tightly, ignoring everything else around her as she felt her brother's arms wrap around her.  She felt Jim rub her back as he said, "Don't worry about me, Kate.  You worry with getting med bay ready to receive Pike."

As Jim pulled away, Kate shook her head and said, "I won't be able to help but worry about you, but I'll make sure we're ready for Pike anyway."

Jim patted her on the shoulder and squeezed it before walking onto the pad.  Spock and Nyota were currently kissing, so she could sense that Jim was feeling a little awkward standing next to that.  She got his attention again and said, "Don't leave me without my other half, Jim."

Jim smiled.  She didn't know the last time she had referred to him as her other half, but it really felt like she was one hundred percent whole again now that they were together.  Jim looked over at Spock and Nyota, who were talking to each other quietly, before looking back her and saying, "If I don't come back, at least it's the better half that will still be on board here."

Kate laughed, in spite of how nervous she felt.  She heard Nyota say to Spock, "I'll be monitoring your frequency," and saw that they were still holding onto each other.  It warmed her heart that Nyota and Spock were so happy together.