Mason clicked around, rewinding to the time just after college ended.

It took some time for the monitor to pick up movement, but it did.

"Fuck," Mason swore, "there it is."

He paused the recording, pointing to a hooded black figure tampering with my lock system. The figure looked male, possessing a more masculine build.

I cast a nervous glance toward Mason.

"How did he get past the card system? I thought it was foolproof."

Mason's features were blank. "Nothing's ever really foolproof."

We watched until the hooded figure finally got through. It took ten minutes until he came out again, closing the door as if nothing had happened.

Ten minutes.

It only took him ten minutes to enter and leave.

A shiver ran down my spine.

"He's a professional," Mason concluded.

"I'm not going back in there," I said, shaking my head.

"I'm not letting you go back in there," Mason replied.

I stood, pacing in front of him.

"It's fine, I'm sure Rhia would be fine to let me stay over temporarily," I muttered to myself.

I looked up at him. He just stared at me, the expression he wore almost unreadable. Pensive. Like he was considering doing something very, very questionable.

My breath hitched as I stared back. I wanted him to speak up and say nothing at the same time, and I had to remind myself to breathe. It felt like eons had passed before he finally chose to speak.

"Stay with me," he said, cautiously.

I flashed my eyes at him, surprised.

"I have an extra room."

I swallowed, averting my gaze. "You know I can't do that."

Mason raised a brow. "Why not?"

"Because you're...you."

"Of course I'm me," Mason said, incredulous, "Who the fuck else do you want me to be?"

I laughed lightly, despite everything. "I don't mean it that way."

Mason gave me a blank look. I dismissed it immediately.

"I need to study. And you're..." I paused to search my mind for a better word, "distracting."

Mason looked like he was trying hard not to smirk in my face for admitting that he distracted me.

"You won't see more of me than you need to," he offered, "Now that college has started, I'll be at lectures, and then I'll go to Charley's. The only time you'll see me is mornings and evenings."

I tilted my head. "Why are you being so nice to me?"

He shrugged. "What? So you're questioning my morals now?"

"No. I'm just...suspicious, that's all."

He sighed. "I can cook," he reminded me.

Now that, that was a juicy bone he had dangling.

Mason was offering up a free room in his apartment, and hand cooked meals? I frowned when I realized. What did I have to offer?

"I have nothing to give you in return," I mumbled.