I grinned at her. “Indeed.”

 Maybe we could meet this weekend. I could finish a chunk of studying on Friday and make up on Sunday.

 “Hello. Earth to Maya.”

 I blinked at Jason. “Sorry, what?”

 “You spaced out,” he said. “See, I made mandate. 36 points, write it down.”

 I scowled at him and put down 36 points in his column. I was lagging by 8 and Esther was 7 behind me.

 The noise in the halls was picking up. Partying on a Thursday night seemed to be a thing, so I guessed now the booze would start flowing. Badal left after a while, leaving us to our game.

 “What was that horrendous noise?” Esther mumbled as she made flower with the e from mandate. Jason winced as she neatly lined up on a triple-letter and a double-word.

 “Jesus, Esther.”

 “What noise?” I asked, as I put down on her points. She zoomed ahead of me.

 “From outside, downstairs,” she said, frowning. Then she stood up and looked out of the window as I stared at the board and looked for openings. I could use her w, but I was lacking a d to make wizard. Damn it.

 “Ugh,” Esther mumbled. “Why can’t people be more careful?”

 “What is it?” Jason asked.

 “Some guy parked his bike in the lot and knocked over all the other bikes and the last bike in the row hit a tree – I don’t know if it’s damaged or anything.” She kept peering around the blinds. “Wow, he’s picking all of them up.”

 I rolled my eyes, and made wand with her w. At least it was a triple-word space.

 “This dude is being weird,” Esther declared from the window. “He’s not coming in the building but he’s just hanging around outside. Now he’s taking out his phone.”

 “Esther, leave the guy alone,” I told her. “Sit down and play the game.”

 My phone vibrated from near my knee. I glanced at it.

 It was Luke.

 I could barely control my grin as I answered the call.

 “Hey, fatty.”

 “When are you going to stop calling me that? Anyway, listen.”

 “Listening.”

 “Where are you?”

 I frowned.

 “Uh…somewhere in this place called Massachusetts, but I’m not sure, like –”

 “Shut up. Are you in your dorm?”

 “Why?” I teased. “Are you planning a midnight sexy rendezvous?”

 Jason and Esther shot me looks and I blushed.

 “Sorry, boyfriend,” I told them. Luke laughed on the other end.

 “No really, are you in your dorm?”

 “Yes, but wh –”

 “Come outside.”

 “Luke,” I grumbled. “It’s cold…”

 “Maya,” he said indignantly. “I’ve cycled all the way here to see you, you better come outside.”