"Tristan, believe me, it's okay. I'll just spit in her drink," I say, and Cara instantly sobers as I say, "Now, what'll you be having, so I can hawk a giant one right in it."

"You wouldn't," she says, grabbing a napkin from the counter to wipe her eyes, just as Cael walks up to the counter with a fresh strawberry cheesecake, for me to put on display. He smiles at Cara and asks; "She wouldn't what?" then turns and winks at me, like he knows what we were talking about.

"Nothing!" Both Cara and I say, at the same time as Tristan says, "Spit in her coffee." Cara smacks her boyfriend on the shoulder, and I glare at him. Cael just laughs, hands me the cake, and says, "Well, don't provoke her then." I place the cake inside the cake rack under the counter, and sigh. When I come up, Cael's smirking at Cara.

Cara gets a wicked glint in her eye, "Ooh! He's a keeper, Ki-Ki. Boy's got a sense of humour. We could definitely use him in our little group." Cael laughs and says, "That's good to know."

I look over at him, "Are you sure you can handle her? She's pretty wild." Cara frowns and sticks her tongue out at me and says, "Get me my latte, woman. I'm thirsty. You know how I like 'em."

I nod my head and roll my eyes at her and turn to Tristan, "And what would you like today?"

"Just a regular coffee would be great, thanks," he says, smiling, "I don't want to make your life any more complicated than it is."

"I should charge you fifty dollars, but that'll be eight dollars and fifty cents instead, please," I say, holding out my hand. Tristan hands me ten dollars and says, "Keep the change, because you deserve the good tip for exemplary service." I roll my eyes.

I charge everybody for their drinks and make Cara's- because only staff is allowed to use the latté machine lest anybody get burned messing up, and they stay a while to chat, marvelling at how awesome the café is, how cool it is that they can add whatever they want to their drinks and not get charged. Business begins to pick up not long after they leave half an hour later, albeit grudgingly since Cael ended up giving them free cake.

Close to closing, Cael's watching the front counter while I'm clearing off the tables when I pick up Vicky's familiar voice. I look in the direction of her voice and am shocked that she's standing at the counter, smiling away like her and Cael are privy to a joke that nobody else is.

"Hey there Cael," She says, sounding rather amused at something.

"Victoria," he replies, using the same tone of voice. "What can I get for you today?"

"I need something strong. You know, like a double espresso or something." She replies, smiling at him as if they were old friends. I guess it's very possible, if he and Damien used to be friends; I mean, I'm sure they know each other by the way they sound so familiar with one another. I can't help but wonder who would want to be friends with a snotty bit-I mean girl like her.

"Ah," replies Cael, smiling at her with warmth that shocks me, "that I can definitely do." He moves to ring up her order, but unfortunately (for me) catches my eye doing so and Vicky follows his gaze, frowning when she sees me.

"Oh," she says in my direction, "I didn't see you, Khiara"

I give the table closest to me a half-hearted wipe and mumble, "That's okay I've been pretty busy."

Her frown deepens and she walks over to me, her blue eyes looking suddenly troubled, "No, I should have noticed you sooner. Sorry about that. I was a little preoccupied myself though, I guess."

"Right," I say, not quite knowing what to say. I pull my hair up into a pony tail, and sigh, then awkwardly gesture back to the table. "Well, I have to get back to work." She nods, satisfied- though her eyes remain troubled- and walks back towards Cael.

"Well," she says to him, her tone less lighthearted and jokey than before, "I guess I'd better get my ass in gear. I've got somebody waiting for me." I keep wiping the table like it's my lifeline, and look anywhere but in their direction. I'm sure she's talking about Damien. "Here's your espresso," I hear Cael say, and then he says something lower, something that I can't quite catch; it almost doesn't sound English. I begin to wonder what it is he said to her, but try to ignore the pull of curiosity.

When about ten or so minutes pass, all of a sudden I feel a light tap on my shoulder. I turn to find Cael behind me smirking rather amusedly. His blue eyes sparkle with a laughter that he's trying to rein in.

"What?"

"If you keep wiping that table," he says, "you're going to go straight through it."

I look down and mumble, "To China. That was my plan."

Cael lets his laughter out and takes the cloth from me, "How was your first day on the job? That was officially the last customer of opening day! "

"It was great," I say, "I absolutely love working here. And it helps that my boss isn't a total asshole."

"That does help," he chuckles, but then stops and runs his fingers through his hair. "Total asshole? So does that mean I'm just a regular one then?"

"Let me take my foot out of my mouth and get back to you on that." I don't think it's possible for my face to get any redder.

Cael chuckles, reaches out and strokes my cheek, sending a trail of goose bumps where his hand gently touches my skin. "It's cute when you blush."

"Is it?" I whisper.

He blushes himself, "Yeah, it is."

"You know," I say, "I feel like I've known you forever. Talking to you is so easy."

Cael's smile fades for just a second as his eyes roam my face, "Forever," he says. He leans in real close and taps my nose. "You're right."