Chapter 18 - Another Terrorist Attack

Because of this the next week seemed to go very slow even with how busy Roxanne was. Friday was the worst with their classes cut short for the school wide Valentine's Day dance for the fifth years and above. Roxanne and Mandy and pretty much everyone in the dorm younger than fifth-year were in the common room. Roxanne was trying to do her homework. While really thinking about her visit to Hogwarts in three days. Scarlet was nearby complaining loudly about not being able to go to the dance.

"Mrs. Stalinskey says I'm as prepared as I can be for the audition, and now I'm supposed to take it easy this weekend. But its weird I'm excited for the audition not nervous at all. Do you think I should be nervous?" Mandy said.

Roxanne tried to follow, but an argument over the telly channel made it hard to focus, "sorry, what? Are you nervous?"

Mandy shook her head. "No, I'm saying-"

"Another terrorist attack. Go back to channel 7," a boy near the telly shouted, drowning out whatever else Mandy was going to say. Roxanne and Mandy jumped up and ran to the telly, along with everyone else.

"... gun shots were heard inside the Blackpool Tower Ballroom. To celebrate Valentine's Day this country's richest and most influential members got together to let their hair down. The Ball had just gotten underway when a passer by heard gun shots coming from inside the building." The man on the telly was saying while the box next to him showed a fancy building with police cars outside.

Scarlet screamed, "my dad goes to that party every year."

"So does my mum and dad," a third girl said.

"Shut up, they're saying more," a boy up near the telly shouted.

"What started out as a pleasant evening of romance has turned grim. At around 6:08 PM this evening a bystander on the street heard gunfire. Police upon arriving on the scene found all doors to the building barred. When attempts were made to break down the barriers more shots were heard. Police are attempting to negotiate with the shooters, but as yet we have had no response." The telly switch to showing the building surrounded by flashing police cars.

"What about my dad," Scarlet screamed at the telly.

"They don't know but they think no one's hurt," Mandy said.

"Shut up," Scarlet said, "you're poor, you don't know anyone there."

Mandy didn't get angry she just nodded and moved to the other side of Roxanne. "No one in your family's at that party, right?" Mindy whispered once Scarlet turned back to the telly.

"I don't think so," Roxanne said. Her family didn't go to Muggle events, and the Granger's didn't seem like the type to go to a Valentine's Day Ball, "no."

"I'm glad," Mindy said taking Roxanne's hand. The news reporter was repeating what he'd said before. But everyone even Scarlet fell silent to listen. It was scary thinking of terrorists taking control of the building where some students' parents were supposed to be dancing. It was uncomfortably close. Like if that building of people they sort of knew could be attacked, no where was safe. The only thing Roxanne could do was wait and take comfort in Mandy's hand squeezing hers. During one of the breaks in the news report Roxanne looked over at Mandy. To say something comforting or anything really, and saw Mandy was crying. Roxanne looked away, in case Mandy hadn't wanted her to see her cry. She squeezed Mandy's hand and Mandy squeezed back.

It was right after this Miss Raferty came to see why it was so quiet. Scarlet ran to her and started crying into her chest. Someone else directed Miss Raferty's attention to the telly as the reporter repeated the same information yet again. "Turn it off you shouldn't be watching this," Miss Raferty said.