Before: Unresolvable Conflicts

1 summer before.

The days passed into months, then to seasons. Slowly, Alon healed the hole that had opened in Izanagi's heart. But it left a scar and Alon fell deeper and deeper into the depths of Izanagi's heart. He had never even realised when he let go.  Izanagi had unknowingly let him in. Maybe it was fate that they had crossed paths, neither knew.  Izanagi glanced at the bookish boy in front of him, the same that had come to read his encyclopedia so many times from his desk. He smiled shyly. Alon looked up. They never spoke, it was mutual. Yet somehow Alon knew so much about Izanagi, Izanagi was shut off.

Izanagi knew only what Alon had done at the castle. He knew that Alon had recently finished his training as a King's guard. He had passed with flying colours his father explained. 

"That boy, the one your always with-" the king waved a hand around trying to recall his name. Izanagi sat at the opposite end of his father "Alon,"

"Yes, Alon" the king went on "He finished his training recently. He seems close to you" the young prince nodded in reply "I want to make you happy Izanagi" he paused and took a sip of the wine in one of the many silver goblets the castle owned "I know Maisah's death...was quite tough on you...And I want you to be happy once more. I never see you smile anymore Izanagi. You were such a bright boy... I want to see you smile once more before I go." Izanagi sighed. It was true though the King was no longer in the best of health, most days he was confined to his bed. He might not last the next few seasons. Izanagi shook his head. "Father, what are you saying?" 

"I want him to be your personal guard. I've been watching him in the training courts. He is very dexterous and I am impressed with his work"

Izanagi blushed slightly, he had to be honest, he did feel a glimmer of pride in the younger man. Izanagi nodded he muttered a few words "Thank you, Father,"

Alon had been implemented to the prince's side the very hour after. The prince and the young boy both almost eighteen summers old were now men. Alon remained the same thin, short figure, his beige hair still lining the tops of his chocolate eyes. He looked almost the same he had 3 summers ago. Still, Izanagi said that youth that remained in Alon's was a gift from above. Izanagi on the other end had grown up into a man. He had shot up at least half a foot. Izanagi found a new resentment in the face he carried, more and more with every day that past he was less Izanagi but a reflection of Maisah. Would his brother's death ever stop haunting him? He still remembered the cold eyes that stared back relentlessly from within the coffin. The cause of Maisah's death was still unknown to anyone in the Gailiana Castle. Izanagi craved for answers though. He would find out, one day. 

Alon plainly stood beside the prince, he recognised the pain that Izanagi felt. The grip on Izanagi's shoulder when a funeral passed through the great hall. The distraction from the portraits of the dead kings that lined the walls. Alon had kept himself shut off though. As much comfort he brought to the prince, the same amount he cut off.  His actions confused Izanagi gravely. And Izanagi felt he was behind a glass wall with Alon.

Izanagi rose from his seat, he was closely followed by Alon. Proceeding with their standard day. The training room empty as usual.  Slicking his hair back Alon grasped at a wooden training sword. Izanagi nodded slowly. His wrist cracked at his swung the sword around.  Alon charged first. Overhand, undercut, overhead, backhand. Izanagi stood back, the tips of the swords clashed. Alon rammed into Izanagi's shoulder. Sliding back Izanagi utilized the force to turn and swing his sword around the circumference of the pair. He stopped the sword only centimetres from the nape of Alon's neck. Alon was slow today. Distracted. 

Alon blinked and shook his head. Tilting his head Izanagi creased his forehead. Alon always won, he was far better than Izanagi. Even if Izanagi was better than the other it would have taken far longer to be victorious. "Alon, are you feeling fine?" Alon rubbed his neck in reply. He twisted away and nodded. He wasn't ok. It was plain to see something was taking its toll on him. Izanagi was to blame. Alon had tried so hard not to find himself in this position. He honestly had. Izanagi was so much like him though. So afraid like Alon, yet so kind. Izanagi smiled on broadly at the people. He only wanted the best for his people. So unlike Alon. The only qualities he shared with Izanagi were fear.  Alon was not the passive man he seemed to be. A person playing opposition does not have the heart to spare the king.

*

The king's guard leaning on the door walked into the centre of the ring and bowed his head "your highness I have news from the king." The guard seemed very frightened of the news he was meant to share. "um, the king has ordered me to-to remind you- your highness, that you are to meet a candidate for marriage in the kingdom today..."

"That was today?" the prince asked. He dropped the swords on the floor. He frowned, Izanagi had completely forgotten. Hadn't his father mentioned it to him? he had been very distracted by Alon lately...

"yes today.....in an hours time..." Izanagi nodded and dismissed the man. Alon had an Inkling that this would happen soon, his heart dropped slightly. It was something he knew quite well since he did carry a burden. He quickly disregarded it. 

Wandering out of the room, Izanagi shook his head. How could he have forgotten something so important? He huffed. His quarters took on a grey afterglow. Re-tying his long ashen hair up he glimpsed at himself. He smiled softly, maybe this would work out for the best.

*

Nat stood, a full-length dress that stopped just below her ankles. It was was a deep fuschia and in her eyes, it was absolutely disgusting. Nat was an interesting lady, she had no interest in titles whatsoever, she had no intention of marrying a man with a title. Let alone the future King. But now she had gotten her self this far in she had to deal with it. Nat stood rather short with a, but she was considered beautiful in the province she had come from.   Her hair was out of place, again. She smiled and fiddled with the dresses sleeve. She had to make a good impression. Izanagi his name was she thought. He was said to be handsome, and smart. Being intelligent was more important than being handsome.  She was worried though, what if he wasn't as pure and perfect as they said he was. She frowned. The woman's young serviceman knocked on the door. "Mi'lady  are you ready? You are set to leave in less than ten minutes." as he entered the room he smiled at the youthful woman "If I may say, you do look lovely today." Nat blushed slightly "Oh you know all the right words to say Castiel." He beamed. If you hadn't known the pair personally you would never have guessed them being cousins. Nat's mother and his father were siblings. Nat's mother married into nobility. Castiel's father joined the army and in turn, Castiel followed. Nim continued "Yes, I am ready. Goodbye simple life, hello hell" she waved her hands around in frustration. "Never will my life be the same after this." Taking a final glimpse of herself she stepped out following Castiel to the great hall, where the prince and she would meet. 

Izanagi stood solo. His hair was braided and he had taken a shower since the training in the courtyard. Nat walked forward to the man she assumed to be Izanagi. He glanced down at her and smile before bowing slightly. Nat was the one broke the silence though "Your Highness" she bowed before the prince. Izanagi spoke taking the lady's hand and kissing it gently "You must be Natalie-" Nat huffed, oh how her name brought her grief. Izanagi paused "Sorry, did I do something" 

"No, please, just call me Nat" she smiled. She finally glanced up at the prince and took in his facial features. Izanagi was gifted with a warm but shy smile, pale skin and of course his large silver-grey eyes that seemed like bottomless puddles. Geez they were right he was handsome she thought. Nat had never realised how judgemental she was compared to others until now.  The man in front of her seemed quite carefree. She hoped that he wouldn't change the way he was now. Was it possible she already liked him? the word 'like' meant many things.