39

Iris's P. O. V.

"Zach we're gonna get lost." I laughed. We had been walking along a trail in the woods, but Zach wanted to go off trail.

"No we won't, come on don't you like adventures?" He asked.

"Andi said there were bears."

"She never said that."

"Ugh."

"Stop stalling, come on it'll be fun. You never know what we'll find."

"Fine. But if we get eaten by a bear, it's all your fault."

"There are no bears here!" We laughed as we stepped through the grass and bushes and trees that covered the area.

"Zach be quiet a second!" I whispered. He had been going on and on about not finding something Andi had told him about, when I spotted a deer.

"What?" He whispered back.

"Look!" I pointed to the deer. He looked over and went silent. There was a mom and two baby deer. It was the cutest thing ever. We stayed still and the eventually crossed our path and moved on.

"They were so close!" I said.

"I know!"

"So what did Andi even tell you was back here?" I asked.

"She said we would find a lagoon or something with a tiny water fall. But I'm not seeing any water."

"All I'm seeing is poison ivy now that I look around."

"Really?" Zach asked his eyes going wide.

"Yeah, all of this is poison ivy," I said pointing to a bush we had brushed into.

"I knew something was biting me!"

"Let's get out of here, goofball." I laughed taking his hand and pulling him back the way we came.

"Um, which way did we come from?" Zach asked when we got back to the trail.

"I told you we'd get lost, but lucky for you I remember that tree up there."

"How could you remember one specific tree in thousands of them?"

"Because this one has a cross in front and flowers growing out of it."

"You think it's a memorial?" Zach asked looking closer at it.

"Probably. Do you think it was someone related to Andi?"

"I don't know, I wouldn't want to come back here if someone from my family had died here," he admitted.

"Yeah. Let's just go back."

We walked back to the start of the trail and made our way back to the cabin.

"Iris! We were just about to call you!" Daniel yelled when we walked in.

"What? Is it Wes?" I asked.

"No, Andi called. Something happened with Jonah!" Jack exclaimed. "We gotta drive to the stables. Let's go!"

                                      ***

We pulled up and there were ambulances everywhere. People were crowded around and ranchers were holding back horses by the reins. It looked terrifying. We spotted Andi and ran towards her.

"What happened?" I asked.

"We were riding the horses, everything was going great. We decided to take a break so we got off the horses. Jonah was petting his and he must've touched it in the wrong spot, or upset it somehow. It jumped up and kicked him in the face," she said, she had obviously been crying.