Wad didn't show it, but Prem could tell his apprehension. They just weren't quite comfortable with each other like they used to be. It was a different dynamic. Prem felt... different.

Wad was able to start walking on his leg more, but there were things that Prem still had to assist him with. Having Wad pressed against him as he carried him up the stairs every night made his chest feel tight and it was always in silence, neither man really knowing what to say. They still spoke normally, about books and games, but it all had a different energy to it. Prem didn't know what Wad thought, but he wasn't sure if they made the best decision.

They didn't get a chance to sort it out on their own because Knot came back on the third day.

Prem knew he was still upset, extremely upset, but an average person wouldn't be able to tell. Knot stewed in his anger silently. Prem spent years learning how Knot operated, so he knew how to handle him.

Despite being upset, he also knew Knot was coming around. Prem had explained to Wad that Knot was a really logical person. He knew that Knot had to think over some things, but he wasn't heartless. Wad and Prem decided to postpone addressing it, but Knot started bringing some food for Wad. Soup, noodles, meatballs, a variety of things that he'd just leave in the refrigerator.

Knot would pick up on what Wad liked to eat and what he didn't.

He also started talking to Prem again after a couple days of dropping off food. He even started acknowledging Wad. Prem and Wad approached him delicately, not wanting to make the situation any more volatile than it already was.

A week into the strange dance around each other, Knot stopped by while Prem was out hunting. Wad was waiting for him in the kitchen, reading a book to pass the time.

"Oh," Knot said, surprised to see him sitting at the counter.

"Hi, Knot. Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you. I just thought it was time to thank you." Knot's eyes softened. "I know Prem said to just let you cool off, but I needed to let you know how much I appreciate you coming back. There were definitely better ways to have gone about coming to you, and I sincerely apologize for that. The whole situation was kind of impromptu. We left some important things behind, too," Wad told him, the guilt in his stomach bubbling up as he thought about Tew. "But yeah. You mean a lot to Prem, and to me too, now, because you bring me pork omelets," Wad smiled at him.

Knot couldn't seem to hide his own smile. "What are you reading?" Knot asked, wanting to divert the conversation a bit.

"Oh." Wad closed the book to show the cover to Knot. "I've already read it a few times, but it's one of my favorites."

"It's one of mine, too," Knot replied, nodding slightly. He already knew this kid was getting on his good side, and he couldn't really do anything to stop it. He hadn't done anything to make Knot doubt his sincerity or his loyalty to Prem.

"Well, if you ever want to talk about the book or the author, believe me, I've got plenty of opinions to share." Knot smiled as he nodded gently in response.

The beginning of their friendship started on thin ice. One wrong step and it would have shattered, but amazingly they made it, mostly unscathed. From that point forward, Knot seemed to consider Wad not as an imminent threat, but something of an acquaintance.

They chatted in passing. Knot started leaving books in the kitchen when he brought food.

Knot had plenty of novels in his room. He didn't think anything of leaving them out on the counter and then seeing Wad's bookmark in it the next day despite it being in exactly the same spot he left it.