Home Again

I opened the door and heard its familiar and annoying squeak. I stepped through into my old home. The silence that resided here was deafening. I looked to my right to find the living room empty. The furniture a complete mess. I turned to my left to find the study in the same condition. Books all over the desk and the chair on its back against the wall. I sighed seeing papers littered across the floor. Walking over crouching down to pick them up. There was one that stood out among them. Catching my interest I examined it. The stains on it were blood. Randomly splattered on the sheet. Words were covered but I could make out a little. Lord Death was summoning someone for a meeting. 'I had no idea anyone in our family even knew Death.' I set the paper down on the desk in its place that I'd set up while cleaning.

*cough cough*

Finally hearing life in the house I rushed up the stairs following the sound of illness. I raced down the corridor to what I recognized as my parents room. In it I found a man in bed. Up to his chest in sheets he was throwing a coughing fit. His hair line receding. Growing in little wispy gifts across his scalp. His eyes were sunken. 'Probably from sickness and insomnia.' His skin was pale and more wrinkled that it should be. Some of it hanging off his frail frame. I forced my attention back to his face. His sclera were blood shot and the irises were dull. Yet I still saw within them the same calm steady gaze that had watched over me as a child. My thoughts were interrupted by the sound of clattering China. I faced to the left and saw two women. One sat in a rocking chair facing away from me and unmoving. All I could see was her silver hair tied into a bun. The other was stood upright. Her figure covered in scrubs. I cleared my throat to get her attention. She jumped and turned to face me. The bottom half of her face was covered by a mask but I could could see her golden yellow eyes. The bottom half of her face covered by a mask.

???:Hello. I heard the lock so you must be a relative but I'd hear-

Y/n:No. Not all of us.

???:I see. Well I'm sorry for your loss.

I shrugged and pointed to my parents.

Y/n:They're all I've got left. So you know if they'll make it?

She turned to look at them. Waiting a second she looked back at me. She kept her gaze to the ground as she spoke.

???:I don't think they have very long. If I were you I'd watch over them for the next few days. They have a few hours at most.

Y/n:I'd hoped to be with them a little longer.

???:I'll get out of your hair so you can enjoy their final moments.

She began making her way to the door. As she passed by me I caught her arm. She jolted a bit but didn't turn around.

Y/n:Thank you . . . for watching over them.

???:It was my pleasure. Maybe we'll see each other again some day.

Y/n:I'm counting on it.

With that I let her go. When I heard the door click behind me I walked over to my parents bed. I grabbed my father's hand in mine.

Y/n:Hi dad. I'm back. I uh . . . I've gotten a lot stronger. Even collected 99 Kishin souls. I know it's been a while but I heard you were sick. So I came to see you and mom.

He laid there just staring into space. I looked to my mother who sat in the same state. Staring out the window. 'Is she actually looking out or is she trapped within her own body like dad?'

Y/n:I know I didn't leave on the best of terms but you know I had to. It . . . It wasn't just a vendetta. I had to have something to bury with them. You can understand that right?

He began to cough again. This time moving to cover his mouth. As he started to settle again he coughed one last time. A liquid spewed from his mouth onto his arm. Looking at it I expected blood and it was. However his was black.