Ten - Day 38

Chapter dedicated to RElizabethM

One of my favorite Wattpad writers. Be sure to check out her works.

Balancing the still half full can of soup in one hand, I slid closer to the edge of the roof. Even with Shawn standing ready to help me get down, it looked like a really long way down to the ground.

"Come on. I won't drop you," the moonlight lit his face as he waited with arms up to catch me.

Dubiously, I looked at the ground one last time before wiggling to the very edge. I had no doubt that he was strong enough to hold me up, but taking a leap of faith off of the roof was turning out to be harder than I would have guessed. A tight feeling in my chest, I held my breath and slid from the roof.

A heart stopping, short drop later, I was relieved to realize that I hadn't hit the ground after all. Feeling suddenly giddy, I grinned at the face that was now level with mine.

His wide smile beamed back at me, "Told you it would be fine."

I moved to playfully shove his shoulder, but stopped just in time to not splash the soup in my hand all over him. My cheeks heated up and I hoped it wasn't bright enough for him to see. Trying to act like I hadn't just almost dumped our leftovers on him, I indicated that I wanted down.

He had the decency to pretend like he didn't notice a thing, and set my feet on the ground.

Tail wagging slightly, Rex jumped up from where he'd been sleeping in the grass, and walked the few steps to us. With a hopeful nudge of his nose, he sniffed at the soup.

"Here you go, boy." I put the can down and watched the dog lapping at the food intently, glad to have something to focus on for a second. A steadying breath escaped me quietly.

The slightly awkward silence was broken by the swish of feet coming toward us through the grass. Maya melted out of the darkness, followed closely behind by her husband. "Our turn," she hid a yawn behind her hand as she came to a stop next to me.

Responding with a yawn of my own, I waved at the couple halfheartedly, and began trudging to where the others were asleep. I hadn't realized just how tired I was until all of the yawning. Coming up to walk next to me, Shawn bumped my shoulder with his own. Bumping him back, a small smile quirked up the corners of my mouth.

"So, back of the suv, or outside?"

"Bri, I'm shocked. I didn't figure you for an exhibitionist," he looked at me with mock horror, eyes shining at his joke.

I sputtered awkwardly for a second, and I was sure my face was glowing with the blood that had rushed to it this time. "That is not what I meant," I choked finally.

"I know," the moonlight glinted off of his teeth as he grinned cheekily at me.

Why did I have to be so painfully awkward around him? I hadn't reacted like this because of a boy since I was young enough that my peers were, in fact, still boys. Rolling my eyes, because it just felt like the right thing to do at the moment, I sighed. "I'm sick of that suv. Let's sleep outside."

"Ok," he relented. Probably only because we were too close to the others to be able to keep up the quiet conversation without waking them up.

Fortunately, the nights were warm enough that sleeping outside was fairly comfortable, temperature wise at least. Alex and Luna had both chosen to sleep inside the vehicle, the doors open wide to capture the sporadic breeze. Both Maggie and Charlie slept near the small fire. Looking around the best I could in the limited light, I decided on a spot that looked as comfortable as sleeping in the dirt could get, and dropped wearily to the grass.