"I like it here. Have you been before?"

"Yes."

"What do you like most about it?"

Kaiden sat down and allowed his legs to dangle over the edge of the cliff. Rocks laid below them and the sea started to splash against the boulders as the tide rose.

"It's open," he grumbled.

Milokan crouched to sit next to him, but his foot slipped, and he started to fall. The angel desperately gripped the grass, not wanting to land on the rocks. Kaiden gasped and grabbed him when the grass broke, and he almost toppled over the edge. The demon pulled him onto his lap, their hearts pounded.

"Will you please be careful! You're not immortal." Kaiden held him tight with a furious frown. Milokan didn't protest, their chests no longer hurt.

"I have wings, I could have saved myself." the angel's voice was quiet and a little shaky.

"You can barely land on your own two feet, so I doubt it."

Milokan rested the back of his head against Kaiden's chest and crossed his legs, making himself comfortable. The demon stopped holding him but didn't push him away. The main reason was due to the drop in front of them. Deep down, he had to keep him close; it's the only way he can eventually get used to him.

The demon eyed his mother and Jeronah. He has never seen how his mother interacts with angels before. She always told him never to talk badly about them, and she still needed to reveal a lot of secrets. Why did she enjoy the company of angels so much? Why did she look so comfortable in Jeronahs company? Meloras has put her guard down, and he wasn't sure why.

"It is strange how easily they accepted one another. I have never met an angel who was willing to treat a demon with respect." Milokan's words broke Kaiden's trail of thoughts.

"How-"

"You were staring at them. And you feel protective when you think about Meloras."

"Can you blame me? Lucifer was awful to her."

Milokan had found the opportunity to dig a little deeper. He had to do it gently, so Kaiden didn't realise he was opening up.

"How long did she serve him?" he asked.

"For as long as I can remember."

"What is your earliest memory?"

Kaiden shifted under the angel and clenched his fists to stop himself from wrapping his arms around him.

"Being smacked in the face by my master."

"He's not your master anymore."

Kaiden frowned. The angel spoke the truth. He is free now, just like his mother.

"I'll believe that when he's dead."

"He sounds awful," mumbled Milokan. "I am glad you are not in hell anymore. When you were getting punished, it hurt."

"You could feel that?"

Milokan nodded, and the demon furrowed his brows with regret.

"I'm sorry."

The angel turned and watched him. Kaiden was already studying him, wishing he wasn't so cruel and cold-hearted.

"You do not need to apologise for that."

The sadness clouded Kaiden's features.

"There is a lot I need to apologise for doing. I wish I could treat you better."