Chapter 25 - Bravery

Comenzar desde el principio

“Get some rest, all of you.” Daik’s voice was calm and soothing.

Lethargic and exhausted from today, I lay down on the ground. My eyelids shut and a wash of tiredness claimed me.

I woke up the next morning, feeling refreshed. My body was still aching, but the pain was greatly diminished thanks to Daik’s special ointment. Hope was already awake, munching on some fruit.

I yawned, stretching my sore muscles.

“Keep doing that you’re bound to end up like an ugly hippo.”

I ignored his snide comment, looking around. It was strange to see Bain sleeping. His vulnerable state now didn’t quite fit his image of being high and mighty. I resisted the urge to smile. I should leave soon. It’s best if I leave now, when they’re all asleep. It would make things a lot easier.

Drey was nowhere to be seen.

“Where’s Drey?” I asked, to nobody in particular.

“I’m here.” Drey voiced out, walking into the cave. He was still holding his scythe. He obviously cared so much about it. I had never seen him without it in his hands.

“Where did you go?”

“Outside. I needed some fresh air.”

Hope snorted at his reply. I shot a displeased look at Hope. What was wrong with that? Drey was wearing a fresh set of clothes, very different from his previous black attire. His brown breeches encased his legs, showing how sickly thin he was. It’s too bad he was sick. He would have been quite the attractive guy.

Now I needed some fresh air. Away from Hope and his cynical comments. Away from worrying about Faris. Away from Raphael, and the search for Renevyere.

Why was I without any familiar? None of this would have happened if I was a normal person. Normal people got their familiars. They didn’t meet bloodthirsty soul eaters or maniacal plant-monsters.

I stood up, heading outside.

“Taking a walk? Can I join you?” Drey questioned.

I wanted to be alone. There was just so much on my mind right now. I didn’t have the time to settle my thoughts. Now was my chance.

“Are you alright?” Drey noticed my silence.

“Yeah. I’ll be back soon.” I forcibly smiled at him. Please, just let it go, I mentally thought. Drey backed away, looking slightly forlorn.

“I wish you would trust me a little more.” Drey mumbled sadly.

“I’m sorry…I have a lot on my mind right now.” I gently pushed him away and walked out of the cave. The sun’s bright rays lit my face in a warm golden glow. I really missed this. The serenity, the peace. Now it’s all chaos and madness. I don’t know friend from foe anymore.

All those stories he told me. All the jokes Raphael made. The laughter he brought to me. They were all fake after all. Even his crush on Janice was not real.

Who was on my side right now? Hope..? I didn’t even know if he genuinely wanted to help me or not. His priority is making sure Renevyere is taken care of, not whether I was well or not. I knew my aim was to find Renevyere, but exactly how I was going to do it with Faris constantly on my tail? Was it even possible to kill him? He’s so powerful…

I close my eyes and take a deep breath, feeling the cool air in my nostrils. I hardly felt any more pain from my injuries.

“What am I supposed to do now Olyrir? I miss you.”