20: A Day in the Life of

Start from the beginning

"Because you didn't ask me where he was this morning," I replied. Folding my arms, I tried to go for a no-nonsense look. "Usually, you show up for your morning gossip with him; when Tate isn't around, you ask me where he is. Except, this morning he wasn't around, and you didn't come to ask me where he was. So, I think it's safe to say you knew that he wasn't going to come to school today. You probably know where he is. Why don't you tell me?" I smiled at him, nicely but with a 'tell me now' impatience.

Instead of Devin, it was the guy next to him who spoke first. "Quite the little detective, aren't you?"

I looked over at him, annoyed. I sighed. "Look, unless you can tell me where Tate is, which I doubt, stay out of this. Okay?" Then, back to the werewolf. "Devin, where is Tate?"

"I don't know. I'm not his babysitter. All he told me is that he wouldn't be reachable today."

I blinked. What the actual fuck? "Why would he tell you but not me? Never mind, don't answer that." And I had already turned around and started walking away. My phone still didn't have any answers. Tate really wasn't reachable today. But why would he tell Devin and not me? Because the werewolf was more likely to go looking for him than I was? That might have been true, however, after what he had told me yesterday, I was a little bit worried.

Not to mention offended.

Seriously, what had possessed him to tell Devin but leave me out of the loop? Was that the way it was going to be? Now that I had cleaned up their notes, made them their bulletin boards, helped him find the club and help him figure out what was wrong with the aforementioned club, he decided he didn't need me anymore. Had he decided to quite literally cut me off? Whatever it was, Tate had better have a good explanation ready next time I saw him.

***

After school, I had planned to go straight home and try to contact Tate again. Only, once the last bell had rung and I had packed my bag with all the books I needed for the daily load of homework, I found myself unable to walk out of the school. It felt like there was something else that I needed to do first. It wasn't the first time I got a feeling like that; last time I ended up with a freshman in the library who looked like he needed a hug. He ended up spilling his life's story. And when I told Dad, he said the boy had a bad home situation; who knows what could have happened if I hadn't sat with him.

So, instead of going home, I wandered around the school a bit, not sure what to do. The hallways were soon empty. There is nothing creepier than an empty school. I wasn't sure how many horror movies took place in abandoned schools, but it definitely would have been a good setting. I knew I wasn't alone though; there were always teachers staying late, grading tests and such, but also students who were part of various clubs. I ended up in the gym where the soccer team was running laps. Well, most of the soccer team was running laps.

Lucas sat on the bleachers, a water bottle in his hands, watching his teammates run. I went to sit next to him. However, while most girls would probably watch the good-looking players running around, I focused my attention on the werewolf next to me. He looked tired with bags under his eyes and slumped shoulders. He looked kind of feverish with how sweaty he was from running and looking particularly pale at the same time.

"How are you holding up?" I asked him gently. His eyes turned to me briefly; they were dark and desperate. He could probably use a hug, though I wasn't sure if that would be a good idea. Was it safe to hug a werewolf who missed his fated? I wasn't going to risk it. "Did Devin tell you there might have been some progress?"

"No," Lucas growled, "He didn't."

I shrugged. "He might not know." That would make sense; if Tate didn't tell Devin, Devin couldn't tell anyone who might be desperate enough to do something rash and stupid. Perhaps it had been stupid of me to tell him. "I can tell that you want to know more but you understand why I won't, do you?" He begged me with his eyes to tell him all I knew. Yet I kept my voice calm and kind, but firm. "I don't know how hellhounds work, but Tate and Dean are working on it. Tate was afraid they would rush ahead and make a mistake, which would be the worst thing right now. You understand that if they - the experts - can't rush into it, I can't risk you rushing into it, don't you? Which is why I won't tell you what I know, but it's still important that you know things are moving forward."