“No, you are all a plague to this planet. Killing it, suffocating it, polluting it, wasting resources, overpopulating it. There won’t be anything left when you’re done with it.”

“You’re sounding like you’re one of them.”

My eyes tinged red. “I am though. Who was I kidding all these years?” I pointed to my eyes. “Is this human?” I pointed to his ribs. “Was what I did to you human?” I zipped away and zipped back as fast as I could, breathing heavily with rage. “Is this human?” I paused. “You think I’m a traitor, but I’m not. I’ll never be human.”

“You’re scaring people, Aimee. Stop it.”

“No.”

“Aimee, you need to turn yourself in. Before it’s too late.”

“What?” I shrieked and humans looked at me. I muttered, “Ta bron orm,” loud enough for them to hear. “You’re insane, Xavier. I thought you cared about me. It’s like you want to see me dead, or dissected like a frog in biology class.”

“I do care about you, Aimee. More than you’ll ever know.”

I let out a harsh, cold laugh. “Funny way of showing it.”

“Aimee… You have to.”

“And how do you think I’m supposed to do that?”

“I don’t know.” He looked down and looked back up to my eyes. “But if you don’t, I will. I can’t let you hurt people.” His voice shook a little, but his tone was firm.

He meant it.

My eyes widened and then I turned away because I didn’t want Xavier to see my eyes turn blue. “I should have left with Reven…”

“What?”

“Nothing.”

“I did not just hear you mention his name.”

“You did.”

“No wonder you’re like this. It’s always been about him.”

“Don’t talk about him like that.”

“Fine. Have it your way.”

Without turning back, I said, “This is goodbye, Xavier.”

“What about us?”

“There is no ‘us’. It was a mistake.”

“A mistake? Are you kidding me? What about how we felt?”

“You’re just my friend, Xavier. That was only lust.” I swallowed my guilt as I lied.

“Only lust?!”

“What can I say? It’s been awhile since I’ve had a good lay. Since Reven.”

“When did you turn so cold? Damn it, I love you, Aimee. I always have.”

Hearing those words broke me on the inside, but I didn’t show it. That was exactly what I didn’t want to hear him say. “You can’t love me, Xavier. I’m not something that was made to love, or be loved. We were a mistake. I was a mistake. I’m the first and only Nephilim. Nephilim and angels aren’t meant for this world.”

“But you’re here anyways and I don’t care. I’m glad the angels fell because you wouldn’t be here if they hadn’t. And are you saying you don’t love me?”

“Xavier…” I turned my head to him, my vision blurring with unshed tears.

He had his fists clenched and I could see his heart beating fast in the artery on his neck. “Just answer the question, Aimee. Please.” His voice was gruff but it cracked on the last word.