The Final Flash by @JasonRock (Force)

The Final Flash

A Star Wars Story by JasonRock

The Sulaco slowly descended onto the landing platform of the Actan Spaceport on Alderaan. The hydraulics creaked as it touched down and hot white smoke lapped around the landing struts. The high pitched whine of the landing engine slowly decreased in tone as the vast, magnificent vessel came to rest, it shuddered and fell silent. At the controls, bounty hunter Roge Randar leant back in his chair, he casually turned off the ignition interface and turned to his co – pilot, droid CT-DT.

" Open the main hatch CT", sighed Randar, " and panel 1138 too, for the R2 unit to get to the hyperdrive engine."

" Yes sir", replied CT-DT. His mechanical hand moved expertly over the control panel and through his transparent skull, coloured gears transferred electrical pulses and plasma impulses from point to point as he upgraded and stored spent navi-computer co-ordinates.

" The government liaison is here to greet us CT", said Randar pointing to his screen, " we better tuck our shirts in."

" I thought we had discussed this sir", replied a confused CT-DT, " clothing of any kind would be unnecessary on an android, despite the obvious aesthetic benefits it would award."

" Hahahaha," boomed Randar, " just messing with you CT."

" Imbecile", whispered CT, embarrassed that Randar had not let him forget about the time he was caught trying on his clothing. Even though CT units were specifically designed and programmed to mimic their master's behaviour in order to develop and expand, ultimately to evolve from a patron into a partner. This mission would be CT-DT's first involvement as a mission member and not just a maintenance droid or navigator. He had spent many long days processing his new programming which had included training in combat techniques and weapons, namely the CR10 hand held ion blaster. Roge Randar had helped with his training before they left his home planet of Sebaya and had continued it during the journey to Alderaan. CT was now ready to make the step up, but could have done without Randar's mocking tone as his circuits had manifested impulses of apprehension and unease.

" Come here CT", said Randar, " let's put this on you."

Roge Randar reached around CT's waist and fastened a blaster holster. He then reached inside a weapons container and took out a brand new CR10 ion blaster, after checking the safety and charge indicator he placed it inside CT's holster. He smiled at the droid.

" What do you think CT?"

CT-DT imperceptibly twitched his mechanical right hand. If he had any brow muscles they would have tightened causing a menacing furrow. His head moved slightly to the right and his brain gears increased their electrical transfers as he eyed up the bounty hunter before him. In an instant, and in a velocious liquid motion, his hand gripped the blaster stock, he pulled it swiftly from the holster and levelled it at Roge Randar. It all seemed to happen at supersonic speed, like a blurred agile thrust, a hypersonic attack. Randar's body shook with fright and shock and he fell backwards onto the control panel, he fumbled for his sidearm which fell from his holster and clattered onto the deck of the Sulaco. He nervously eyed CT-DT.

" Hahahaha", CT laughed mechanically, " I was just messing with you."

" Son of a Bantha!" cried Randar as he composed himself and picked up his blaster. " Still it's a good thing you're on my side I guess. Good work CT, now let's greet this government liaison."