A mission for ex exorcists

It had been three days since Kanda and Rin had woken up. It was confirmed that Rin possessed the Heart. Allen was glad to be home but was disappointed that so few people actually knew they were there. He wanted to see his friends but from what he had heard form Komui and Lenalee, very few people still trusted him.

Allen sat in Komui's private library reading a book on the Heart. It said very little and most of it was speculation that Hevlaska had said was false after examining Rin. Lenalee was bring him another book on Apocryphos but Allen doubted it would explain much either.

Kanda and Rin sat together in another chair. Kanda was attempting to teach Rin to read. Rin was a quick learner and was now reading one of Lenalee's old picture books out loud. Allen watched his friend start to nod off with the little boy in his lap. It was apparent that Kanda was losing his cold personality when he was with the little red head. Though he was still his harsh cold self with everyone else.

Allen turned back to his book.

'It is believed that the Heart is the strongest piece of Innocence and was at the center of the completed cube. It is also believed that if the Heart is destroyed, every other piece will also be destroyed. One of the corner pieces is believed to have formed its own consciousness and is the protector of the Heart (See more in our volume on Apocryphos.)'

Allen sighed. If Rin had the heart, then why had Apocryphos been chasing him for the past few months? It didn't make sense. Also, if the Order was doing experiments on the Heart why had they not told the rest of the Order that it was at least safe? And why wasn't Apocryphos in Ireland with the Heart? The more Allen thought about it the more confused he got.

"Allen look at Yuu!" Rin came running to Allen's side and was giggling as he pointed back at Kanda. Allen glanced up. Kanda was fast asleep in his chair with Rin's new bear tucked under one arm. Rin had managed to braid his hair into several sloppy pieces without waking Kanda up. Allen laughed. Rin climbed into Allen's lap and started to struggle to read the more complicated book the older boy was holding. "Apophos?"

"Apocryphos is another piece of Innocence."

"Why do you not like him?" Allen was surprised. He was pretty sure he didn't sound resentful and how did Rin know that Apocryphos was a guy?

"Well he chased me all over the place."

"Didn't he just need your help?"

"My help?"

"Yeah he has a job to do and maybe he just wanted your help."

"I don't know."

"Allen." Komui walked in carrying a mug of coffee like usual. "I need you to help me with something."

"Alright." Allen noticed that Komui was looking pale and more tired than he usually did. "Are you alright?"

"Just a headache. I have a mission for you, Lenalee, and Kanda."

"A mission?" Kanda woke up and asked.

"Yes. Lenalee already knows about it and is packing stuff for you guys with Jonney. You are assigned to find Bookman and Lavi."

Rin climbed out of Allen's lap and ran to hug Komui.

"Hey Rin." Komui bent down and hugged the little boy. Rin gently place his hand on Komui's head and frowned.

"There are mean things inside your head."

"Mean things?"

"Yeah though it's not like the mean things inside of the Noah guys or the demon things."

"Rin what do you mean?" Kanda asked. Rin scrunched his eyebrows together.

"I don't know how to explain it."

"That's ok Rin. I'm sure I'll figure it out soon."

Rin ran over to Komui's desk and picked up a piece of paper. This happened pretty often. Rin would suddenly start drawing and a few hours or a day later his picture would become reality. It was usually trivial things like Kanda and Allen getting into a fist fight or Allen starting a new book so they ignored it.

A few minutes later, Rin had finished and brought it to Komui.

"Alright you guys need to leave now. Oh, and I think you will need to bring Rin with you."

"What did he draw?" Allen asked. Komui handed him the drawing and Kanda looked over his shoulder.

It was a picture of Lavi and Bookman. Bookman sat holding Lavi's head in his lap. It was unclear if Lavi was alive or not. His eye was open, but it stared at nothing. Bookman was holding his hand over Lavi's other eye. They were both injured but the red head had it much worse. He was bloody and bruised. In the background of the drawing, Tyki had his head in his hands and Wisely was kneeling in front of him with his hand on his uncle's shoulder.

"Yeah let's go."