Ch. 13 - Not in our stars

Start from the beginning

Like Breakfast, lunch was always served at the exact same time each day. In this case, lunch is always served at 12:30 sharp.

Walking in the kitchen I could see Emily readying three bowls of soup on a gleaming silver tray. It had better be gleam, as I was the one that polished the fucking thing.

I am now able to add to my long list of things I hate, the following;

-Chamber pots

-Emptying chamber pots

-Cleaning chamber pots.

-Polishing silver

I'm sure that list will grow much longer by the time I leave 1869.

I looked down at the three bowls, "Who's dining with Miss Irene and Mr. Ferrer?"

Emily blushed a bit and couldn't help but gush, "It's Mr. Mark, Miss Irene's husband to be. He's joining them today."

Instantly I felt a sickening feeling form in the pit of my stomach. I would finally meet the villain of this tale. I was brought out of my thoughts, by the chime of the kitchen clock indicating it was 12:30.

"That's my cue." I said with a fake smile, which only resulted a puzzled look by Emily.

Walking into the dining room, I could see Irene and her father both seated at the table. However across from Irene was a young, well dressed and even I'll admit, handsome man with thick black hair and sort of a roguish smile.

"Who's this?" He said with a raised eyebrow as he looked me over with a subtle look I've always seen from horny men and women all too many times.

Avoiding the overwhelming temptation to take the nearest knife and shove it in his eye, I put on my best fake smile and said. "Miss Seulgi Kang of Los Angeles, California, at your service."

The only service I want to do him, is bury the asshole. I had read today's diary before I went to work and there was no mention of Mark coming over for lunch. But then again, lunch was never mentioned at all. I guess Irene left out details sometimes.

"Yes Mark," said Irene. "This is Miss Seulgi. She's a Korean-American and is traveling. She has taken a job as Cecilia's replacement for a while. Today is her first day."

He nodded politely and turned his smile on me, "Well it's nice to meet you Seulgi."

I nodded in return and played my part as a respectful servant perfectly, "Thank you Mr. Tuan."

Despite that I was screaming inside at the fact that I knew what he would do to Irene. I get him now. He's charming and devilishly handsome. But behind that, lays a total self-centered asshole, with and utterly black heart. A bit like a male version of my ex girlfriend Krystal. Wouldn't it be hideously ironic if Krystal was his descendant?

Not wanting to be in his presence anymore, I quickly but efficiently served the soup and returned to the kitchen to get the rest of the food.

"Isn't he handsome?" Gushed Emily as I returned. I could tell she, like probably half the women in this town, had a crush on him.

Not wanting to be rude to Emily who was rather simple but nice, I shrugged noncommittally as I grabbed the next tray to be brought out. "I guess."

I served lunch and then went to help to dish the pudding that would be for dessert.

I came back out at the end of lunch with Emily to collect the dishes, so the pudding could be served. As I came out I could hear Mark boasting.