[ CHAPTER ELEVEN ]

Max finds her hunched over the dinner table, her phone in one hand, a stack of papers in the other. She's got her glasses set out in front of her next to a red pen. He'll never be able to understand how she writes in three different languages, but all he knows is that she scratches off words neater than he ever could.

"Eirika! There you are," he says. He kisses her on the cheek, then the other for good measure. "This is a big client, I see."

She laughs, and the worried frown melts into a small smile. "My biggest. I don't want to mess it up."

"You'll be amazing." He glances over the papers and hums. God, he hasn't seen numbers like this since they had a lecture about the stock market at the community college. "Besides, rich pricks like these love down-to-earth people like us."

She shies the files away from his prying eyes. "They're just some lawyers, mera pyaare."

"See, now that's even worse."

She kisses him where his nose scrunches up. "Well, it is what it is, but I can't show you."

"What?" Max asks, voice jumping up an octave. "But you always show me your shit!"

She sighs, though good-natured. "Stop being dramatic."

Max sticks his tongue out.

She pokes at his arm. "Don't you have work in two minutes?"

"Twenty seconds ago, actually."

She laughs, loud despite herself.

"Alright, alright," Max acquiesces. "But you're bringing me cake from the tasting."

She kisses him right under his mouth. "Of course, my dear."