Chapter 2

The diner was cute. Once you walked in you were immediately  sucked into it's cuteness. It was cat themed diner with cat wallpaper and cat tile floors. I found my Mom sitting down at a booth looking at her phone, probably reading the news like she always does. She always complained that the world is getting worse and that back in her time it was better. To be honest I always agreed with her.

I slid into the booth across from her. Her hazel eyes looked happy to see me. I smiled and looked at the menu.

"I'm glad you came" she reached her cold pale hand across the table to touch mine, I flinched at first but I let her.

"I'm glad I came, we haven't really talked much since the appointment."

My mother went to the eye doctor about a month ago. The doctor looked at her and told her some agonizing news. She was close to going blind, and if she hadn't gone sooner she would be completely blind. So the doctor gave her some glasses to improve her vision but, he said it will take time. After that day my mother has never been inside much. She's always out and about just trying to savor the vision she has. "God has blessed me with me having my vision and I want to make the best of it" she would always tell me. She was surprisingly optimistic. While I on the other hand I hardly ever leave the library.

We waited a few minutes and then a blonde curvy waitress came to our booth. I had to hold back from saying anything because she wore cat ears and a bell on her neck. My mother kicked me lightly under the table.

"Do you ladies know what you'd like to order?" she gave us a sweet smile.

"Yes as a matter of fact we do" I smiled as my Mom adjusted her glasses on her face and ordered for us.

"I'll have that out for you guys very soon."

My mother crossed her arms and looked at me. For about a few minutes we just sat there together and said nothing at all, but we both knew that meant a thousand words. She eventually broke the silence.

"So, how's your writing going?"

I hesitated on answering. She's never asked me about my writing so I was caught off guard.

"Um fine." There was a awkward silence after that until the waitress came with our food.

We both had a burger and my mom and I split fries. There was that awkward silence again. I swallowed the piece I had in my mouth and looked at my Mom. She picked at hers and just took small bites.

We finished our food and I wanted dessert. So I ordered  a small piece of chocolate cake while my Mom on the other hand didn't want anything so she ordered hot tea. We waited awhile not knowing what to say to each other.

"Has Dad called you lately?" I froze because she didn't remember.

My Dad died in a plane crash about twelve years ago while on a business trip. I was hoping one day she would remember it. But I think it's better for her health for her not to know. I used to go to his grave almost everyday and just talk to him well his spirit I guess about my life. It was always hard to think about it.

I clear my throat before answering her. I've told her many times the same story, but today I couldn't escape the guilt that was eating me alive.

"No, he's in Asia, remember?" I coughed to take away the lump in my throat. She looked like she knew and continued to stare out the window.

I asked the waitress for a check but she gave me a confused face. She then smiled and her eyes glowed with happiness.

"A nice young man came in and payed for the lunch" I was confused. Who would do that? I looked around and saw a guy with a black beanie with blond hair poking out the sides. A small smile came across my face. He got up and walked out the door with the bell on the door ringing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Well that's nice of him" My mom put her purse down and fixed her lipstick. I looked at her and flopped on the biege and rose colored couch. My mom loves vintage things I did also. She always claims I'm a old soul. I adjusted my glasses on my face and closed my eyes to rest.

I woke up and groaned. The clock read 4:32 am. I had a class to got to in six hours. I've been going to a creative writing class at the community center for about a month now. I don't really do anything but learn things you would've learned in English in high school. I felt bored most of the time and never really payed attention. The instructor just had constant prattle the entire time. To be honest I only went to see if anyone knew anything about good writing. I haven't really told my mom that I wanted to be a writer for a career. She always thought that it was just another one of my hobbies. She wants me to have a good career, a good job, and a good life. I couldn't blame her I love that she cares but I want to plan my own future, and I just want her support.

I walk to the cabinet and grab a nice mug. I fill it with water and put it in the microwave to heat it up. I then grab my bag and take my laptop out. The sound of the microwave was the only thing I could hear. My mom was sound asleep in what used to be my parents room. I turned on a lamp and turned on my laptop. The silence was tranquil and it was the perfect atmosphere to write.

After a few minutes I got the mug out of the microwave and put a tea bag in it. I grab the sugar and the mug and walk back to where my laptop was. I stared at the blank word document with nothing in mind.

Think Annabelle think. Eventually I ended up thinking about Dakota. Next thing I knew I was writing. I read over what I wrote and almost died it was so girly and sappy and nothing like how I would usually write. I saved it to a private folder and labeled it 'entries'. I decided to start making journal entries to keep up with my life considering all that has happened so far. I want to keep track of my own life and this is where I start.