Chapter 1

life is a thing that everyone goes through. It's quite simple really, but we choose to make it complicated. I feel like I'm just a little life form on this planet and nothing more than that. Life seems like no big deal to be honest. I did the same things everyday. Like this morning I woke up, took a shower then put on my black framed glasses. I stood in front of my bedroom mirror, just staring at my reflection, hating the way I looked. I stare at my face and see nothing but imperfections. My nose is too big or my boobs are too small. I decided to look at my stomach to break the monotony. I could see my ribs and my hip bones. I was hideous. A small tear made its way down my cheek and I quickly wiped it away. Don't show any weakness Annabelle. I told myself that everyday, I guess you can say its my mantra.

I then hear a knock on my door. "Annabelle are you going to the library again?" I could hear the annoyance in my mother's voice. I nod but realize she can't see me.

"Yeah, why do you ask?" I quickly search through my drawers looking for a clean pair of jeans while waiting for her answer.

"I was wondering if you can see if they have the book I ordered, I ordered it about two weeks ago and never picked it up" I sigh in response. Don't get me wrong I love my mom and all, but she has a horrible memory.

"Okay I'll ask Sandy" I could hear footsteps leave my closed door. I eventually found some jeans and a floral shirt, that my mom bought me a year ago but I never wore, and threw them on. I stared in the mirror once more and gave myself a sympathetic look. I looked some what decent. I then put my hair up in a messy bun not even caring anymore and then put on my black combat boots. I then looked in the mirror and tried to smile. Don't show any weakness Annabelle.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The sun was barely waking up as I walk down the street. I stopped at my favorite cafe and ordered the same coffee I always got. I finish my coffee as I made my way to the library. I sat in the same place I've always sat for a year now. I dropped my book bag on the mahogany table and sat down. The seat was comfy as always with a great view of the city. I sighed and connected the wire from my laptop to the nearest outlet. I quickly went to my word document that I had open and started to write. I spent about a good hour writing until I got writer's block. My imagination went to a sudden stop. I stretched and got up to look around for a good book to read until I felt my writer's block went away. I was in the S aisle when I notice a guy sitting at a table across from where I was standing. He was reading a book but I couldn't tell what book.

The guy looked about my age maybe older. I could see curly blonde hair poking out of his black beanie, though I could only see the back of him. I dropped the book I had in my hand. Heat consumed my face and anxiety whelped in my stomach as I picked it up and when I looked up, he was looking at me. He had sea foam green eyes that made me get lost for the five seconds when he looked at me. He eventually looked away and my heart was pounding. I tried to collect myself to prevent further embarrassment. My phone was on vibrate when I got a text from my Mom.

I'm going shopping so how about we meet for lunch?

I quickly replied. yeah sounds good how about the diner near the library?

After a few minutes and no response I put my phone in the front right pocket of my jeans. I sighed and wanted to walk to the other side to the teen fiction but, I had to walk in front of the guy to get to the other side, and that's the last thing I wanted to do. I took a deep breath and walked across and only looking at his table once. He hadn't moved his eyes away from his book, and I'm glad he didn't. I looked one more time and our eyes met. He didn't look away and I didn't ether. Until his stern gaze moved away and he continued to get hypnotized my his book. I shrugged and continued walking.

By noon I had gotten five chapters done That's the most I've written in a month. I checked my phone to see if my Mom responded, obviously she didn't. I unplugged the wire from the outlet and gathered all my things. I then remembered my Mom's book.

"Hey Annabelle, how are you?" Sandy's green eyes looked bright as I walked up to her at the check out.

"Great, how about you?" I slid the book I wanted across the counter for here to check it out.

"The same as always, How's your Mom?"

"She's the same as always" I chuckle"Speaking of my Mom she said she ordered a book and she wanted to know if it came in"

"I'll go look in the back" Sandy then went in the back room and left me there at the counter.I looked around and smiled at the brochure about a summer reading program. I read  the pamphlet further until I felt a tap on my shoulder.

"Could you tell that lady to hold this book for me?" I swallowed and made a awkward smile. That guy addressed me and I didn't know how to react. I've talked to guys of course but none like him.

"Um okay I'll let her know." He handed me the book and left. I didn't realize I was holding my breathe until I let out a sigh of relief.

Luckily, Sandy eventually came out of the backroom and handed me the book my Mom ordered. I gave her the one that guy gave me.

"What's this?"

"A guy told me to tell you to hold this for him"

"Was he blonde? And really pretty eyes?"

"I guess"

"Oh Dakota, he always come here and reads this" She looked at the cover and read it out loud. "Where has all the happiness gone by Gavin Thompson"

I looked at the book and was lost in thought.

"What a depressing title" I reply, she shrugged.

"It's a classic in my opinion."

I gathered all the books in my hand and left the library a little before one to head to the diner. A small smile came over to my lips as I thought Dakota, you're one mystery.