Chapter 5: Aiming Skyward

Start from the beginning

They'd bonded, but not over philosophy.

Runt smiled as songs came to his mind at the very sight of them.

He, very simply, was their music dealer.

"You got a few minutes?" One of the older human females asked, leaning heavily on the couch as she looked out at him from under tightly curled black hair. "I just found this epic remake of the Black Ice sound track."

Runt shrugged, and kept walking.

"I'm really sorry guys, but I've gotta go..."

"Hey man!" A male Kavera said, shaking his mane. "You're not leaving ground without saying goodbye, are you?"

Runt put up both hands and shook his head.

"Wouldn't think of it! You guys are all coming to the party, right?" He said with a wink. "I'll catch you guys later!"

He waved, marching backwards as the group gave him a round of disappointed goodbye waves.

He felt his heart sink a little.

There were a few things he'd miss about New Medina.

The handful of friends he'd made, nearly all on campus.

But none of them knew who he really was, none except Quix. And he was willing to say goodbye for her sake, and for his own.

He felt a bitter ache in his heart. The why didn't make goodbye any easier.

He tried to push smiling faces out of his mind as he approached the classroom. He knew there were countless friends, ones already made and new opportunities, waiting in the stars.

But he could never let a single good memory, or friend, go forgotten.

Runt's datapad pinged.

Hope that's Quix...

He grabbed it and looked.

From: Cpt. Juan-

Runt, we're having technical problems over here. Please come when available.

Runt's feet slowed, then stopped.

He bit his lip.

Juan, technically his 'superior' in Obsidian's New Medina branch. To Juan, a Rojax, Runt was just a pilot in training, and one of a few tech support workers on the ground. He had no clue about Runt's connection to Obsidian's highest levels, nor his real mission.

But helping was still Runt's responsibility.

Don't have time for this, Juan...

He'd have to make time though. His team on the ground depended on him, and he wasn't about to let them down.

With a few more quiet steps through the empty hall, Runt came to his room. He pushed open the door, and entered with a gulp.

Runt curled his datapad tighter against his chest and glanced around the massive and well-lit room. White walls dripped with cable and wires like vines in a jungle, while hydraulics under an artificial cockpit howled trying to imitate the maneuvers a student in the simulator was inputting into the controls.

He was a little late to the redeye session.

"Hey, look who decided to show!"

Runt turned his head, already conjuring a half-forced smile. A handful of students were gathered around the observation consoles, their faces bathed in the blues and oranges of the display graphs and data feeds. Runt's professor, Captain Stevens, was at the center, looking at Runt with a grin.