Chapter Four

For the remaining time in class, Grayson hadn't spoken to me, nor I him. As usual, Mrs.Smithers just introduced herself to the class, explained her backstory and her life now, and any other personal information that she thought would be valuable to share. My mind was too dozed off to even pay attention to what she had to say.

The class bell rung, dismissing us to our next period. For me, it was lunch--and boy do I wish Grayson didn't.

"Sit down everyone. The bell doesn't dismiss you, I do."

I'd hate to be rude, especially to my new "best friend's" mom, but I hate these type of teachers. If the teacher dismisses us, then what's the point of even having a bell? Like, come on now.

"Now, I don't want to hold you up for too long, so I'm going to make this short and sweet.", she flashed everyone a cheeky smile, "tonight's assignment will be to read the first ten pages of our first novel, "Jane Eyre"."

Her eyes scanned the room one last time, "Class dismissed."

And just like that, every student rose from their seat and hustled out the door--with a  book the assigned book in hand. Most of the students' faces were distraught, as they were given homework on the first day of school. But this was practically the norm for me. After all, I read for entertainment.

I hadn't noticed right away, but when I was halfway down the hall and nearing the cafeteria, I saw that I was side-by-side with someone. And by the looks of them, I could definitely identify them to be Grayson. "Terrific, he does have lunch with me!", I kept my thought to myself as he opened the door to the lunchroom for me. I returned his kind gesture with a smile and mouthed, "Thank you."

Grayson smiled at me, watching me walk through the opened door, and then stared out and into the crowds of students--as did I. When my eyes found Ava and her friends--or so I assumed that was who she was with--, I immediately booked it over to them.  

As I drew closer to the table, I could hear Ava's laugh, and the laughter of her peers. Within inches of the table, Ava's head jerked in my direction, revealing her broad, joyous smile. 

"Chloe! I was beginning to think you wouldn't show!"

"Well, here I am.", I said in a rather awkward and quiet way

"Oh! Chloe! These are my friends: Charlie, Adam, and Lydia."

I nodded my head slowly and mustered a smile of friendship. Following my lead, the three smiled at me. Eventually, the boy who Ava introduced as Adam spoke to me.

"So, Chloe, you're friends with Javier, aren't you?"

"Yeah. Why? Do you know something I don't?", I asked with a questionable smirk

"Oh man. Do I know Javier. Him and I go waaaay back, like ALL the way back. Before we were even born, our moms were best friends. We were practically wombmates."

Ava slapped the side of his arm in annoyance at his little pun.

"Javier never mentioned anything about you before though.", I asked with a rather curious perk of an eyebrow

"You serious?"

I nodded my head to confirm what I said earlier

"Huh.", his eyes wandered off to the windows and just stared at the outside environment. It was beginning to rain, or more so a drizzle.

An awkward silence circled the lunch table, and I looked to Ava for help. 

"So do you all pack your lunch?", I attempted to break that silence.