Chapter Three

All throughout class, I heard Ava whisper to me her questions about California and what life was like there. 

"Was it always warm? Did you ever see Hollywood? How are the boys? What was your favorite part about California? Where exactly did you live in California?". It was question, after question, after question. I never knew someone could be so interested in the new girl...until now.

As I predicted though, the inevitable question of "Why move here?" escaped from Ava's mouth and I felt obliged to answer...but I couldn't. The pain of remembering would just be too much to handle, especially since I'm in the middle of class.

"Uhhhh...personal reasons." which isn't exactly the truth, but it isn't a lie either.

Ava just furrowed her eyebrows at me. She didn't want to accept that as an answer, but she respectfully dropped it--something that even surprised me. "And I'm gonna guess that this isn't your first time being here, in Fraser Pines I mean."

"You would be correct.", I continued working on the worksheet we were assigned earlier. Ava's questions hadn't let up though.

"So when exactly did you originally move from Fraser Pines?"

"When I was seven."

And by the graciousness of God, silence came over the classroom. Ava had finally stopped asking questions, talk about miracles. It was another ten minutes before the bell dismissed class. 

"Alright everyone, don't forget to grab your issued textbook before you leave class!"

I got up from my seat and got in the back of the line to receive textbooks. Ava turned around to face me and hooked her arm in mine, tugging me towards the front desk as the line moved forward. When we finally got to the desk there were exactly two textbooks left; I grabbed the one on the left and Ava grabbed the one on the right. Mr.Zellers waved us off and we headed out the front door. As soon as I put my foot outside and into the hallway, Ava spun me to face her and was going to speak. However she was interrupted by the kid who walked right into me.

My balance was thrown off and I started to tip over, but a pair of arms wrapped around me and pulled me back onto my feet. I looked up to see who caught me and what I saw was completely beautiful. I mean, he was absolutely gorgeous. The way light reflected upon his eyes, the way his hair swooped, and that jawline was on point. My cheeks began to grow warm, and the feeling of embarrassment came back. He didn't mind though. His smile reassured me that everything was fine.

His arms unraveled from me and he walked away, giving me a small wink at the last second--and if I wasn't mistaken, I could still sense that he was smiling. 

"Who was that?", I asked Ava, my eyes still following the boy who caught me.

"That, was Grayson Dolan. And the boy to his left is his twin brother, Ethan.", I didn't even notice his twin, "They don't really socialize with others,", she said in a whisper, "they just talk to each other and their younger brother, Matthew. Anyways, we should get you to class.", she tugged me along, following the direction Grayson had went.

My next class was:

World Literature and Writing  with Mrs.Smithers, who also happened to be Ava's mom. Ava lead me into the classroom and announced, "Mom, this is my new BFF Chloe.".

Mrs.Smithers flashed me a smile and said, "Chloe! I've heard so much about you, from your teachers back in California. They've spoken highly of you.", a smile still plastered on her face.

My cheeks, once again, glew with a bright red color. I never even knew that my teachers liked me that much. "I never knew they liked me that much.", I spoke what I was thinking. Mrs.Smithers just giggled in response. 

"Well, I'm excited to have you. Now why don't you sit next tooooo...", she looked over her seating chart, "Grayson. Second row, right by the window.".

My eyes grew wide and my head flicked in the direction she had given. "Oh god!"

Surely enough, it was the same Grayson who I had encountered in the hallway just minutes ago. Grayson was smiling at me, his smile being big, beautiful, and pure happiness. I, myself, couldn't help but smile as well. The warning bell went off, and Ava leaned in close to my ear, facing the door, and whispered, "I think someone might like you.", her smile referring to Grayson. She trudged off to her next class and I strolled over to my assigned seat, Grayson looked down at the black table as I reached my seat, his smile still present.

The late bell rung and that was the que for Mrs.Smithers to begin class. "Alright everyone, please take your seats," her eyes shot daggers at the students still standing, but she smiled with friendliness, as did I, "I want to begin class by allowing you and your partner to better know each other. Some of you may know the person you sit next to you, some of you may not.", I guess she was hinting at Grayson and I, "So, I'll give you ten minutes to converse and we'll come back together at around 10:20."

All of a sudden, voices began to fill the room, all talking about their summer vacation. I slowly turned my head--to the right--and I saw Grayson staring at me, wearing the same smile as I saw before. I began the conversation with, "So..." and pursed my lips together, yeah, this is going to be awkward.

Grayson began the conversation with: "My name's Grayson, but I'm sure your friend already told you that.", well he wasn't wrong about that, "and your name's Chloe, right?"

"Y-Yeah.". God, why'd his smile have to be so adorable.

"So what do you like to do for fun, Chloe?", his curiosity spoke for him.

"I like to read, write, take photos, you know, that sorta thing.", I spoke with more confidence this time. I can't explain it, but it was like I felt comfortable around him. Safe. Secure. 

"Do you have a favorite book?"

"As a matter of fact, I have several."

"And what would they be?", he tilted his head slightly, his smile loosening just a slight bit

"Anything from Fahrenheit 451 to Slaughterhouse-Five to Gone with the Wind. I read anything and everything.", I myself started to smirk, just to seem friendly.

"Ray Bradbury, Kurt Vonnegut, and Margaret Mitchell; an interesting selection of authors, don't you think?", his smile grew bigger and brighter than before. His eyes had a glimmer of curiosity and question, yet camaraderie, in them.

"Like I said, I'll read anything and everything."

"And you mentioned taking pictures, what of?"

"Anything that catches my eye.", my eyes gazed into his, and for the remainder of the time to talk, we just stared at each other's irises. And as much as I'd like to say it was weird, but I can't. For some strange reason, it's almost like we found satisfaction out of staring. His eyes reminded me of a quote I once read. It went:

"It blows my mind that after all this time you've spent on earth, nobody bothered to tell you that your eyes aren't brown. They are copper against honey and sage and when they water , they glow, two perfect orbs the same shade of nature after it rains.".

"Ms.Reyes, are you all right?", Mrs.Smithers voice broke Grayson's enchanting stare on me and I jolted my head to the front of the classroom, where she stood.

"Yeah, yeah I'm fine." Out of the corner of my eye I could see that Grayson was still smiling, yet his attention was focused to the front of the room as well."Why is he so happy?". My thoughts betrayed my emotions, and I smiled to myself just thinking about him.

-------------------------------

A/N: Well, this is chapter three. Might not be the best, but I promise things will pick up soon. And some questions will be answered in the next chapter, like: Who was that boy that kept a close eye on Chloe during gym? and, Why is Grayson always smiling?! XP
Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this chapter nonetheless and I'll talk to you peeps l8r. Peace!