Chapter Two

"It's so good to see you! Oh my heavens!,", my day was definitely getting better, "I thought you left town when I did!?", excitement swelled throughout my voice as I squeezed the life out of my best friend. 

"Yeah, it's great to see you too,", he wheezed, "if you could just...loosen your grip.". I hadn't realized that my grasp was constricting his breathing. Immediately, I dropped my clutch on him, giggling out of embarrassment, but remained stern eye contact with him, awaiting his answer. "I--my family and I--left town, roughly around the same time you did, but we moved back here about a year ago.", he explained as we walked in the direction of the office. 

"The more important question is, what are you doing back here?"

Javier's question hit me hard, but I kept a straight face on. 

"M-m-my mother and step-father were murdered. I moved back here with my dad.", I found my eyes drifting to the floor slowly, but advanced forward nonetheless. 

"Clo...I'm sorry, I had no idea."

"It's not your fault. I just hope that they find the bastard sooner than later.", my eyes returned to their original position. Javier stared at me with sorrow though. "Anyways, this is my stop.", I jerked my head in the direction of the office, "I'll see you later?".

"For sure!", Javier flashed me a smile and we did our secret handshake from when we were younger, as it was embedded in our minds.  "Peace." we said simultaneously, and Javier walked away with a smile; a smile unlike any I've ever seen before though--it was broad, cheerful, and unrestrained.

Watching Javier strut down the hallway, I couldn't help but giggle; he knew I was still watching him, so I guess he made the best of the moment. I turned to face the door to the office and approached it, opening the door and walking inside.

Sitting at the secretary's desk was a middle-aged woman, wearing bright blue glasses, a red sweater, and chewing a stick of gum obnoxiously. Her eyes met mine and--in the most bothered tone and voice--croaked, "What's your name, girl?". 

"Well someone's a smoker."

"Chloe. Chloe Reyes. Moved from California.", I followed up with a roll of my eyes. "Two can play the sass game.", my thoughts rang out. 

Staring at me was the obnoxious secretary--her eyes having more expression than I intentionally noticed. It was almost like they were saying "Why I outta beat you right here, right now.". I flicked one eyebrow up and scowled my face, "Do you need identification with that?".

After ten seconds, she barked, "One moment.", and looked back at her desk computer, typing furiously at the keyboard. Within a minute, the secretary spun behind her, facing the printer, and waited for the low-quality printer to print my slip completely. It took--what felt like--a whole day for that freakin printer to finish. When it did finish, the woman spun back around to face me and handed the small, pink slip to me. 

"This is your schedule,", and continued to hand me two more papers, "and these are maps of the school. Now get to class.".

"Thanks.", I mumbled and stormed out of the office. I could feel the smirk on that lady's face, the smirk of victory. This is one of those times where you just have to pick and choose your battles. I glanced down to my schedule paper and analyzed it for what I had and where exactly I had to go.

Mrs.Duncan
Physical Education
Gymnasium

A peek at the clock was enough to get me in a sprint, off in the direction of the gym. Class started in about two minutes and I was still learning where to go, even with the help of the map(s). By the luck of the dear Lord above, I made it to class just in the nick of time. Unlike gym class in California, we were put to 'work' on the first day. My teacher, Mrs.Duncan, was a sweet elderly lady who just gloated about how she was going to retire soon and leave the state of Maine. In a way, she reminded me so much of my mother.

We were given five minutes to change into some fashion of athletic clothes, and when those five minutes were up, we were expected to be in the gymnasium. Looking across the court, I could see the boys beginnning to line up on the white line that was perpendicular to our own. As I peered across the room, my eyes traced along all the boys. Some caught my--teenage hormones, that's my excuse, besides, it's not like they'll talk to me. Well, maybe some of them. Especially one kid who wouldn't break eye contact with me. He was undoubtedly good-looking, but nothing too special for me to chase. 

As time progressed, so did class. But every time my eyes caught a glimpse of my surroundings, I caught that same kid staring at me. Now it was just becoming disturbing and incredibly eerie. Curiosity grew over me, as well as a sliver of anger, and I cleverly devised a plan to get over to him. Since both sexes were playing volleyball, I would hit the ball--when it was shot over the net--up and over towards him. Then I would walk over to him and get the ball, only to corner him and then question him on why he's so persistent on watching me. 

But the more I watched him, the more I realized that he was hitting the ball without even looking at it. "How in the world is his coordination so on point!?!", the thought haunted me. My attention was focused back on our game and I finally saw my oppurtunity to get that ball over to him. The ball was served and it came staright to me. I instantly took action and jumped, spiking the ball directly over to where I last saw him. 

My eyes followed the ball gliding through the air, and when it landed to where the boy was playing his game, I saw that he was gone. Vanished, would be the better term. One minute he's playing a game of Volleyball inhumanly, the next minute, he's completely gone. 

Mrs.Duncan's whistle rang all throughout the gym, pulling me from my thoughts about where this mysterious boy had escaped to. I shook my head, thinking that my maybe the boy I saw was just a part of my imagination...but his stares, they felt so...real.

Similar to the beginning of class, we were given another five minutes to change back into our school attire. I swiftly changed and stood by the locker room door, hoping to see that boy walk by, but he was a no show. The bell rang and I pulled the schedule I had received earlier from my back pocket, looking for my second period class. When I found the two, I read from left to right:

Mr.Zellers
Honors Biology
Room 198

Biology class wasn't that far away, luckily. I walked with a little pep' in my step to Biology class, arriving with three minutes left. The teacher was bulky, like a professional wrestler, so I knew not to piss him off anytime soon. 

"Ah, Ms.Reyes I assume?"

I froze, standing awkwardly in front of the entire class. I knew what he was trying to do. "That would be me.", I spoke quietly, I could feel the direct stares from the kids in the class. 

"Well then, once the bell rings, why don't we begin class by learning a little more about you.", he flashed a smile.

"Sure...why not.", I mumbled

And as soon as I finished that sentence, the bell rung, on que. 

Mr.Zellers nodded his head in my direction, which I took as a signal to start blabbering about myself. "Well, my name is Chloe Elizabeth Reyes, but you can call me Clo, I am an only child, I live with my dad, and I just moved here.". My head jerked towards the teacher, my face forming an expression of "Can I go sit down now?". Mr.Zellers nodded his head in response.

I sauntered my way to the back of the class, my cheeks rosy with embarrassment, "I probably looked like an idiot up there.". I found an open seat next to a girl who smiled wildly.

"So, you're the new girl?". She whispered with an enthusiasm in which I've never seen before.

"Yup, that's me."

"Well, new girl, I'm Ava. Ava Smithers.". She stuck her hand out for me to shake.

I shook it, a small smiling growing on my face as someone--new--was being so friendly.

"I can tell we'll be good friends.", her head nodding at the sound of her voice, and her smile growing even more. 

--------------------------------------------

A/N: Alright everyone! Chapter Two is up! If you find any errors with my grammar, spelling, or anything else, please let me know. I love to get feedback! I hope you enjoyed, and if you did, please let me know!