Chapter 59: Silver Tongue

I leaned back and closed the thin laptop as the men and women around me pushed their notes aside. "Any other orders of business, ladies and gentlemen, before the European summit at the end of next week? Obviously, anything you give me tonight will be the last orders to give Her Majesty before then, where she will have time to consider your requests," I said calmly, turning on my professional smile again.

The Irish coven's council members began to look at one another, as if trying to rack their brains whether or not there were any items that could be dire enough to help plead their case for more supplies and guards. Cecilia Marie, Gabriel's fiancée and the Moon Worshipper princess, would be blending her home with theirs, making the small house into a larger estate with former enemies sleeping just down the hall. They were anxious and untrusting of the new monarch that would soon be impeding into their lives.

"No, Duchess," the second-in-command said after a few seconds of silence, his accent thick. "We think you've been most kind in listening to what we have to say and our concerns. We hope you'll be bringing them to Her Majesty with our hopes."

"Of course, Keegan. I'm more than happy to pass on your thoughts. I would think anyone with half a mind would have the same reaction when they hear Moon Worshippers will soon be moving in," I said, making them all smile and chuckle. "I'll be bringing this to Her Majesty as soon as I land in Italy."

"Then I think our concerns are appeased, my lady," the Irish commander, Domhnall, said, grinning wider than he had all night. He was a burly man with a thick torso and limbs who had known my grandfather for centuries. The two had once been war buddies, from my understanding, hundreds of years ago.

"Thank you, Duchess," his wife, Erin, added from the other side of the head of the table.

"My pleasure," I replied calmly with another smile. "If that's all for the night, I'll send along your requests to the administration in the Capitol."

"Of course, our thanks again," Domhnall agreed. He got to his feet in one smooth motion and his council followed suit. It didn't matter what country I was in, which council I met, what they called me, or how old the coven's elders were. After three years of doing the job and growing up in the Shadow Stalker monarchy, they all blended together in their traditions that mixed with their local culture.

I slipped my laptop into the leather tote bag at my feet. Once the coven council had left, I pulled out my cell phone and considered calling Krystal with the updates. I spun it around and around in my fingers before turning on the home screen to look at the notifications.

"Hope Ireland's treating you well, sweetheart. I miss you," was the sole text amongst the score of emails.

I smiled and brought up the keyboard. "And I miss you. Everything is all good here. I'll see you next week. Gonna finish up work and we'll talk soon."

I flipped through the rest of the emails and then decided not to phone Krystal. It could wait until sundown. She would be busy coordinating the summit on her mother's behalf, and I had every suspicion that Nikolas wouldn't help like he was supposed to. I got up and pushed the phone into the outer pocket of my bag. I straightened my blazer and the lace tank beneath it before moving towards the door again.

"She's not going to want to hang out with your ass. Let's go get a damn drink."

"And the lady looks like she needs a pint after putting up with our fathers for the past few nights. What do you say, Lady Mezdor? Fancy a drink?"

I paused, hearing my title and a snippet of the conversation. I glanced off to my left to see two of the men about my brothers' ages, sons of two of the council members, and two women waiting in the open space between the conference room and the formal dining hall. I glanced at my watch before looking back at them. "I shouldn't," I said slowly, smirking.