Chapter 18

It was after six o'clock when Eric and I arrived back at the school for stage crew. I chattered, as usual, and he was quieter than usual. That worried me. Eric parted ways with me when we got to the stage. He went into the cage to do technical stuff, while I went to paint something. Something always needed to be painted, and I loved to paint. I grabbed a brush, looking forward to burying my bad mood in latex. Jenna Marie came up behind me. She had on a pink apron with bows on it. Her hair was slicked back into a ponytail.

She blurted out, "Ivy, are you dating Collin and Eric?" Shocked at her question, I choked on my spit. A few other perky girls I didn't know loomed behind her. None of them ever needed coffee. They were naturally chipper.

I returned my gaze to Jenna Marie trying to regain my normal placidity. "No, Collin and I—we're just friends. I'm dating Eric." She was so insane. Changing the conversation, I asked, "So, what are we painting?"

Smiling she said, "Just finishing up some odds and ends. I was retouching the flats, but I need to do some tables. Will you finish for me?" She handed me her brush, and another pink apron.

"Yeah, sure." I grabbed the brush, ignoring the offered apron. I walked to the flats that were laid out backstage.

Her voice called to me, "Not those ones. We got those already. I was retouching those flats." Her delicate fingers pointed to the stage where seven out of nine flats where already erected. "Touch up the seams," she said and walked off.

I saw the problem before I walked up there, but it was too late now. I'd volunteered to be within a stone's throw of Collin. After avoiding each other for over a week, I ended up being right next to him. It was too late now. A few eyes were on me, so I walked up the wooden steps to the spot where Jenna Marie had indicated. With the brush in my hand, I wiggled behind the actors, careful not to get paint on them. I set myself down in front of the bucket of paint, and dipped the brush in.

I have no idea what happened after that. Collin was too close. It was like my brain melted and the only thing I was aware of was Collin Smith. His thoughts brushed against me softly, making my body lean toward him. I forced my spine straight and sat on my feet. I brushed strokes of black, and tried to tune him out. The more I tried, the worse it got. I finally moved a step away from him, over to the next flat. Then I moved to the next. When I was at the edge of the stage, I tried to snap the bond, but it wouldn't give. I couldn't leave. My heart bounced in my chest. Feeling his eyes on me, I wondered if he felt the same thing.

Yes. His voice brushed the inside my mind. It felt like a soft caress. I immediately wanted another. I had to get away from him. I needed to break the bond. If I could move my legs off the stage, and down the stairs, then it'd break it. Move! I commanded my legs, but they were aching to walk towards Collin.

I saw Eric watching me from across the stage. Something else was going on. His attention was on the actors. Suddenly the teacher's voice cut through my mental haze. "Don't come back until you're serious! You're messing up everyone else. Damn it! We're two weeks away from opening night, Collin. You always pull it off at the last minute, but not this time. Get outta here and don't come back until you're ready." A script was hurled at him. Collin caught it, and stormed off the stage.

I heard the metal door to the basement scrape open. They kept all the props and old sets down there in the school basement. The room was dark and musty, and directly under the stage. Collin's voice whispered in my mind, Follow me.

Like I had a choice? The bond tugged sharply, propelling me toward him. My feet slowly walked down the stairs, not knowing what was happening. The lights were off. Proceeding into the blackness, I could feel Collin's stormy mood, but I didn't see him until I was on the lower landing.